Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 speed box re-work

chrisddl

My 1600K SS is fitted with the standard Sierra 5 speed box and although I'm happy with the perfomance of the car (never driven a 6 speeder so can't compare), I'd like investigate the 5 speed upgrade BGH have to offer. So to that end, if you've gone down the BGH route, what have you gone for and what differences have you noticed between the two.

Should I get as far as a BGH upgrade, is it an easy DIY jobby and at what cost for a BGH upgrade against DIY.

Thanks

ChrisL

Hi Chris,

I assume by DIY you mean simply swapping the complete gearbox or do you mean to built your own *confused*

BGH have an enviable reputation, however the ratios offered are limited and the new first gear ratio is IMHO still too low geared for a 7, I built my 5 speeder using a Tran X SCCR cluster purchased direct from Dan @ Tran X which he pressed up to my spec.

I opted for:

1st 2.48

2nd 1.69

3rd 1.27

4th 1.00

5th 0.9257

which when driving thro a 3.92 final drive gives almost the same spread as the CC 6 speed driving thro a 3.62.

I beleive that the BGH uses a 2.65:1 first gear ( I sure someone will correct me on that) *confused*.

Mine is more powerful admittedly however I've driven both 1.4 and 1.6 (120BHP) both with 6 speeders and they handle the taller first gear no problem at all so I see no reason to go lower.

I've had no issues whatsoever in traffic, hills etc I even wish I'd specced the 2.38 first instead.

If you do more motorway miles then you can spec a 0.83 or 0.87 fifth too.

There nothing to be afraid of in the 5 speed gearbox and parts and advice is freely available *thumbup*

Drop me an e mail and i'll send you a spreadsheet I did as a comparion *cool*

BGH can do a couple of first gear ratios. I went for (I think):

1st 2.66

2nd 1.75

3rd 1.26

4th 1.0

5th 0.86

I had to push Brian to get this longer 1st ratio - he wanted me to go for a shorter gear as he thought it would be a bit of a pain in motorway queues... I pointed out that it was still shorter than the compound 1st gear (taking the diff into account) used by the 1.6k 6-speeds...

Anyway, the rev-drop with the above ratios is almost 'ideal' IMHO - the drop more or less halves at each change towards 4th and draws quite a nice, smooth curve.

The 5th gear was slightly-shorter than standard as I felt that the standard gear didn't allow much acceleration and that I ran out of steam (revs) rather earlier than I liked.

I really like these ratios - no obvious gaps - and the longer 1st and slightly shorter 2nd allow controlled town-pottering without the old rev-like-a-loony and then bog-down with 2nd.

FWIW, to rebuild my box into a "sporting-close 2.8 - E7 HD" with an ali top-plate (inc. dipstick) was £817. They did say that my box had 'led a hard life' (ex-race) and that there were fewer components that were reusable as a result.

It's more than just a rebuild though - they did a load of lubrication modifications that - they say - significantly improve its durability and ability to take oomph.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 19 Dec 2006 19:07:57

Edited by - Myles on 19 Dec 2006 19:09:07

I have the SPC semi-helical box. Was fine with my 1.6k SS.

I have never driven a car with a standard box though, so can't compare.

It has a long first gear. the advantage being you can get to about 50 mph without having to change gear *biggrin*

Only dead fish go with the flow....

Slight hyjack here, but:

I've got a standard 5 speed 1993 1400Kss.

Someone I know has offered to give me a spare 5 speed box out of his Sierra in exchange for a passenger ride in my 7 *thumbup* Blimey, for that I'll give him the key's for the afternoon if he's got insurance.

I would like to convert my car into a 1600 at some point and would like to use a 'long 1st' box.

Questions:

Would the Sierra box be o.k to upgrade and use in my car?

Is it something I could do myself?(I've got mill/lathe and shed etc)

How much would it cost? DIY and Expert route(I can't justify spending £800 on the box alone)

Would I notice the difference if I coupled it up with my 1400 engine?

Bruce.

Cagey,

Your probably right.

I'm quite freindly with Eddy Little who used to run Southern Transmissions (Cheriton, Folkestone). He informed me he helped the guy from BGH build the first 'long 1st' boxes many years ago *thumbup* Maybe I'll ask him for a price, as I guess he knows what box to nick the required ratios and bits out of.

Bruce.

Brucey, Not every Sierra box is suitable if I remember correctly. I can't remember which ones but I know that when I tried to get one about a dozen years ago to have BGH ratios added, I was told by Brian Hill that it had to be out of a specific Sierra or Granada. It 'may' have been a V6 gearbox only, but don't quote me on that as my memory might be remiss.

Whilst I think that "any" type-9 is ok if you change enough bits, the real value is the long input shaft in the v6/xr4i box. You would get very little credit presenting a short shaft box and asking for a long shaft box.

I am sure that Brian would be able to sort you out a deal with a gearbox to sort your needs.

I was strapped for cash when I bought mine so it has standard ratios but it has the improved syncros and lubriaction mods.

Of cource now I really regret not having more done at the time. *thumbdown*

Nick