Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tech Forum - Changes to Classes for 2007

Mark Durrant

The review of the regs started by looking at the aim of the championship which is to provide a fun entry level of motor sport for all club owners of Lotus 7 and Caterham 7 cars.

When reviewing the regs people were asked to keep in mind that the emphasis should be making the championship as attractive to as many members as possible by making as many of the current and previous model range competitive within the class structure.

The following changes to the regs were agreed and should be read in conjunction with the 2006 regs. Provisional regs for 2007 will be published in due course.

Class 1

To allow the following cars to compete in this class:

1.4K classic

1.4K Supersport fitted with a 5 speed box

120BHP Sygma cars fitted with a 5 speed box

Class 2

1.8K VVC fitted with a 5 speed box

1.4K Supersport fitted with a 6 speed box

120BHP Sygma cars fitted with a 6 speed box

140BHP Sygma cars

2007 Spec ‘Megagrad’ 1.6K Supersport cars

Restrict the power of Xflows and Twin cams to 160BHP

Class 3

1.8K VVC fitted with a 5 speed box

1.4K Supersport fitted with a 6 speed box

120BHP Sygma cars fitted with a 6 speed box

140BHP Sygma cars

2007 Spec ‘Megagrad’ 1.6K Supersport cars

Restrict the power of Xflows and Twin cams to 160BHP

Tyres List 1b Radials only (see below)

Class 4

The power of cars in this class is restricted to 190BHP

Cars that are likely to qualify for this class subject to power re as follows:

1.8K VVC fitted with a six speed box

R300’s

Zetecs

Xflows and Twin cams not eligible for class 2 or 3

Superlight R’s

Modified K series cars e.g. DVA Power/Emerald

Sequential gearboxes are not allowed in this class

Tyres in this class are List 1a and List 1b Radials only

Class 5

There is no restriction of power in this class but all engines must be naturally aspirated

Sequential gearboxes are permitted in this class

Tyres in this class are List 1a and List 1b Radials only

Class 6

No change

Reasoning behind the changes

The aim of the changes is to make it possible for the majority of owner’s cars to be competitive without the need to invest in engine or tyre upgrades thus returning to the principle of drive it during the week and race it at the weekend.

The change to a power limit for classes 4 was seen as a way of providing a class where the models of cars listed would be competitive. Owners who had previously competed in this model of car had stopped entering the championship as their cars were not competitive against R400/R500 and bike engine cars.

The decision to remove cross ply tyres from classes 3 & 5 was taken as models that qualify for this class are normally fitted with CR500’s when leaving the factory and a high proportion of owners also fit other list 1b radials such as Yoko 48R’s, 32R’s etc. The cost of ACB10’s in A24 compound and the need to change the camber, tracking was seen as potential reason as to why someone would not compete. This change will also allow owners to drive to events without being compromised on tyre choice. [Note: There were at least 6 competitors present who used ACB10's last season and whilst they would have preferred to continue to use these tyres they recognised the need to make the championship as attractive to as many owners as possible].

We intend to put controls in place to deal with the power limits for classes 2-4 but as this championship is about a fun entry level of motorsport I doubt and hope they they will need to be exercised *thumbup*.

Point Scoring – is to be changed and will follow in a day or so. Due to the changes in the classes, class records will not be used next year.

2007 Calendar - This is nearing completion and once I have heard back from one car club I will post on here. We are looking at 14 rounds next year with 7 to count for the main and class championships with 5 to count for Novices and Ladies.

I would like to thank all of you who contributed to the the various threads and on the day at the Tech Forum which lasted for over 2.5 hours. Brian Lyall now has the difficult task of drafting the regs and we will endeavour to publish these at the earliest opportunity. If anyone wishes for clarification on the above then either post on here or drop me an email.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers Mark - can we make it clear that 1400 superpsorts in 2/3 can also modify the head but retain standard valves

current regs state

The following modifications are permitted to Rover K series 1600cc engines: K16 cylinder head porting retaining the standard valves, vernier camshaft pulleys, 52mm throttle body and the use of forged pistons.

should be replaced by

The following modifications are permitted to Rover K series UNDER 1600cc engines: K16 cylinder head porting retaining the standard valves, vernier camshaft pulleys, 52mm throttle body and the use of forged pistons.

A good and comprehensive set of rule changes which seems to reflect pretty well the Blat Chat input up to last weekend and IMHO fully supports the aim to get as many club owners into competition with the minimum of additional costs.

A special thanks should go to the ACB10 runners in class 3 as it seems to me they have given up quite a lot financially as well as all that lovely grip for what I still think is the good of the overall championship

Peter C

The aim of the changes is to make it possible for the majority of owner’s cars to be competitive without the need to invest in engine or tyre upgrades thus returning to the principle of drive it during the week and race it at the weekend.

There will always be people disadvantaged but hopefully you will see this as a motivating factor to get your big engine rebuilt, fit a set of Cr500's or similar and come and play in Class 5 *thumbup*.

Albert Hall

Quite possibly but the motivating factor for Class 4 is to find a home for the models of car listed. If people have modified their cars then Class 5 is for them.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Mark...what if a K series car has been modified but is under 190bhp?

I assume it stays in class 4 as long as the generally accepted norm is that it wouldn't breach 190bhp, eg a VVC with a bit of head porting but not running an Emerald...but if it seems fast you may have to prove it's under the limit.

Edited by - Albert Hall on 21 Nov 2006 13:05:40

Overall I think the changes are acceptable but how are the changes going to be policed 🤔 Who and how will BHP output be verified 🤔 and if class 5 is basically anything other than std spec 7 why ban acb10's they are fitted to modified cars 🤔 All questions I know and not intended to irritate, just want to understand the changes.

Metal Mickey,

Class 4 will be home for a LOT of modified 7s. There are loads of cars out there that started life as standard 1.8 or 1.6 K and have had a little porting and maybe some throttle bodies and kick out 180-190bhp.

Previously they were up against 'anything goes' engine wise cars in class 4/5. Now we have a nice progression from 140-160 bhp class 2/3, 190bhp class 4 and the unlimited class 5&6 with 230+bhp.

Mike

To answer each of your questions:

Who and how will BHP output be verified 🤔

This is entry level motorsport and the onus will be on the competitor to accurately declare the power output of their car. Speed trap data will quickly identify any car that is significantly faster than others in their class and the club will reserve the right to ask the owner to take the car to a rolling road for a power run to be witnessed. I very much doubt and hope that it will come to that but we need a regulation to cover this eventuality.

If class 5 is basically anything other than std spec 7 why ban acb10's they are fitted to modified cars 🤔

Cars that fit into Class 5 include R400's, R500's, C400's, CSR's etc all of which leave the factory of List 1b tyres.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Havent seen you for years anyway Peter

Not much motivation to return now, either. That is my fault for purposefully speccing my car in opposition to the general trend for more power first, more finesse later. It remains a fabulous trackday car. It isn't even "too fast" for the road, so I may get back to enjoying it there.

The sequential box ruling is the bit I have fallen foul of most significantly. I'm unlikely to swap out my sequential gearbox in order to then downgrade my tyres and come up with a moderately competitive class 4 car.

I am also a victim of these rule changes with a set of 15" wheels £480) and Stunners (£120) that were new this year that are longer required. Whilst I would have preferred not to have had the additional expense, in the longer term it will be cheaper for those who used ACB10's and as it helps make the Championship more attractive to other members I supported the change.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

If the reasoning behing no sequential boxes is to restrict bike engined cars...why not just say no BEC's in class.I know not many people run sequential in 'low' power applications, but it does seem a little harsh on the likes of Peter who has always run well in class 3 (when he competes that is *wink*) to be chucked straight into class 6 *eek* Not being rude but I can't see Brodie worrying about Peter with only 155bhp *tongue* I know you'll never produce rules to suit everyone, and I know I didn't attend the meeting and give an input, I'm not whinging...just commenting.

Overall I have to say the rules changes do sound very good....(I'll have to buy a new set of tyres to replace my ACB's like many people which is a bit of a pain in the wallet ☹️)....hopefully they will encourage a few more people to take part with more 'off the shelf' 7's *smile*