Click here if you are having website access problems ×

mild hissing from expansion cap

henry21p

Given that I've got the header tank bubbling over when i've been hooning...

Having taken the car round the block (ish), and stopped, there is a slight hissing from the header tank expansion cap.

Now - my thoughts go like this (engine sitting at 80-85 degrees)

If the expansion cap is faulty, could it cause the system to expand too much and therefore bubble over without the temperature getting too high

OR

Is the pressure in the system getting to the point that the cap is doing its job properly (i.e allowing system to release some perssure)? However - no high temperatures being recorded by the gauge, no oil in water and no water in oil. No water loss, either (unless level rises and it comes out of the cap).

Dave

The water (and air) in the system don't need to be boiling to raise the pressure in the system - normal operating temps will do it. No water and oil mixture sounds good, but the bubbling header tank isn't right.

Steve

Edited by - sjmmarsh on 14 Nov 2006 22:30:29

Not the curse of the can-woe again Dave. *tongue* ☹️

I think I'd change the cap as a matter of course, then pressure test the system...oh, you know the route. I hope it's not as bad as you think. The thing should rise in pressure a bit but if the cap is hissing then either it's excessive as a result of a leak or the cap is dud.

I'd still grab that straw.

Change the cap. I would also try a different factor for a different style of cap, the most recent one I fitted seems much better than the ones I was using when I was overheating.

When my engine was stripped the HG was fine ! The fault was probably a perished hose.