Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Building an inspection pit

Sootysevener

Anyone got any specifications for a pit. I got builders in currently replacing the garage roof and putting a new floor in so this seems the best time to put in a pit.

I'm aware that we need some form of sump to catch spills and it will be tanked to keep it water proof but sizes etc and any quirks which others have come across would be useful to know

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

• Area Representative

Mechanical ventilation is advisable, to prevent petrol vapour accumulating in the depths and going up when you drop a spanner. Yowch *eek*

I always fancied a pit myself but speaking to people who have them, they do have a number of drawbacks. You're probably better off raising the car really - spesh when it only weighs half a tonne.

Crudders

Sooty: Tanking has already been mentioned, I used bitumen & plastic sheet & amazingly it worked! Size: mine is 37" wide, 96" long & 60" deep (floor to floor). It is covered by 9" x 3" planks. Don't forget to build in steps, I didn't, so have to use a step ladder. Mains power for lighting (strip lights)& power tools would be useful too. Never had any problems with petrol vapour.

HTH, Mark

I fitted a Mechmate pit in my new garage a couple of years ago and its fantastic. Although a lift would be nice it would have been too tall for my garage. The lift does have the advantage that you can work all around, say, a suspension or brake system without hopping up and down in and out of the pit. Keeps you fit though, so long as you don't fall in 😬

Don't underestimate the amount of work involved in fitting it. We used about 4 tons of concrete backfilling around the moulding and, if you go ahead, I can give you a few tips if you're interested.

All in all, one of the best car related things I've done. Easy to use and clean which is just as well after a friend emptied his Honda Civic sump into it 😳

My Seven leak? surely you jest. *tongue* I was thinking of a 4 post lift, but it's not as convient to change tires, do brake work, etc. Jacking the car up on the lift is not Ideal IMHO. Any other suggestion other than adding a few more bays. *thumbup* the next door neighbor wanted to add a couple more garage bays, and ended up building a 6000 sq ft addition to the house. *eek*

Edited by - TomGaval on 9 Nov 2006 00:25:50