Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repeater indicators for cycle wings

Charles Griffin

Having browsed the archives for alternatives to these abominations (and as I'm about to replace the wings anyway), I'm tempted by the idea of fitting repeaters either on the side of the headlights or on the side of the bodywork. Can anyone direct me to photographs of either solution? Someone suggested Transit fittings for the latter - any other recommendations gratefully received.

if this is a new kit you got from caterham if you ask them they will give you a loan of a set of wings with the lights fited to get pased in the sva then you can take your time on what you want to do i did this because i did not want them on my car then you just send them back to caterham

fredid=blue> smile.gif

I have side repeaters fitted in the side of my headlight bowls. I have the smaller headlights from James Whiting a well.

They do pass SVA as my car only had these and they were no problem.

The ones I have fitted are Ferrari 355 (read Fiat wink.gif clear items and are very small and look very good imho, they also have the correct E number although at my SVA that wasn't checked anyway. I think the Fiat originals are all amber but DT do aftermarket items clear and the price was pretty good, give Dave Kimberley at DT a call and ask for the same items he sold to Arnie and me.

Mine are positioned on the side and I can take a quick photo and e-mail anyone who wants to see them. The fitting is very easy, use the existing wires for a new car and run them up into the bowl, all very discrete. They have an added benefit in that at night especially you never leave the indicators on as you can see them.

I have also replaced the primary indicators at the front with clear items from Landrover which are a straight swap and cost £1.33 each only; I now have no amaber glass on the front of the car which gives a very "modern" look with the smaller lights.

I've fitted motorbike indicators. they're teardrop shaped and were designed to be fitted to the side of a fairing. mounted middle top of the cycle wing they are easily seen from all angles and reflect of the chrome headlight bowl.

should be available from most bike places and Demon Tweaks i think.

If you've got the copy of Low Flying with a union jack Seven on the front theyre on the wings.

passed two MOTs so shouldn't be any legality problems.

ttfn

Travellin' Man

Tony Boyd

97,000 miles in 6 years!

The lights seem fine to me but then my car has never had any other lights on it. afaik, the rating for lumens is the same with both units. Last night I was in the car after dark and on pitch black country lanes had no problems (aeroscreen, yellow cycling shades and a tad above the speed limit teeth.gif), full beam is great, dipped is average I'd say. I only have them on my car for vanity, I'd keep them even if the performance was not as good as the bigger units.

Arnie,

Could you expand upon the comment about the upgrade to the 'plug'? I presume this is due to extra heat from the higher rated bulbs? I only ask as I have recently half melted my standard connectors on standard 55 watt bulbs....short circuits all over the place!

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody experienced in small headlights the PIAA Platinum Superwhite or Xtreme white H4 bulbs which are supposed to produce respectively : 150/150W and 135/125W, drawing only 80/80W and 60/55W ?

Does it mean that I would not have to upgrade the loom? I figure that the sockets should still be upgraded because of the higher temperature in the bulbs.(4150 Kelvin for the Xtreme). Where can I find such sockets?

The price is expensive though @ £ 35 +vat in DT catalogue.

I figure that the lifetime should be limited.

Merci mes amis!

Pierre

Looks like I will have to buy a spare set of cycle wings to pass the SVA, unless anyone can confirm they passed the SVS at Derby with an alternative.

Anyone know the cost of the fibreglass cycle wings.

TonyR

Edited by - tonyr on 24 Mar 2002 19:00:07