Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing conversion

David Lowe

What's the matter with you David? Flares are still in!

Signed The Proper Wing Society!

(Well I think they look better!). All a matter of opinion I know. How about it lads & lasses; what is the current favourite? I am of the thought that out & out road 'missiles' ie R500's look best & need the cycle wings, but more modest machines retain the 'class' with clam shells.

By the way Jason; Thanks for the run in R500FUN.Sensational car & a great registration plate!

Well Chris (Clark), initially I much prefered the flairs and thought the cycle wings looked silly; shortly afterwards I changed my mind, changed the spec, and now (and please don't get upset!) can't see why I liked the flairs.

Just call me fickle!

A problem with converting to cycle wings is disguising the holes in the bodywork. Wasn't Pierre G looking into this?

I have just carried out the same conversion. In addition you will also need new headlamp brackets and the repeater indicators will need to be repositioned. I made my own aluminium wing brackets from scratch and they are adjustable as I wanted them to look right on both 13 & 15 inch wheels. (not a job for the faint hearted as there are many things to consider) Standard Caterham ones will do fine though. Covering the holes in the side was a problem. Short of a re-skin I decided to put really big white race number backgrounds over them (mine is a car used for sprints). Interestingly I would say that the car is faster at high speeds with cycle wings, perhaps through better aerodynamics (not a word one associates normally with Caterhams). At my favorite high speed 4 mile sprint at Wethersfield this year, the car was on average about 4 seconds faster per lap than normal, yet no other changes had been made to the car. One downside though is that stones seem more likely to fly of the tyres and stike the windscreen. I thought it a worthwhile change as visabilty when trying to negotiate rows of traffic cones at high speed was also improved and the whole set up is a few kilos lighter than flared wings. If I sold the car though I would convert it back to flares.

Can't remember where but there was a proper test done not very long ago and it was concluded that clam wings were more aerodynamic than cycle wings so - see you in my mirrors!

And, I'd like to keep the enamel on my teeth

And, all that gravel ending up under your bum on a long journey wears through your seats and your knickers!

Edited by - Anna Rexia on 23 Jun 2000 19:28:58

Anna,

you say all the words that my wife, who is the user of the car all week long, said when I old her that I was envisaging this conversion ...to look more sporty. In fact, when I read Low Flying, I can see now more and more Cycle wings, and I figured that sevenists in England are now more enclined to Cycle. I told her that she would be even more protected with a race helmet but did not succeed to convince her. It seems that we need now two Sevens...

The cost depends on how perfectly you want to do it. The only real way to fully hide the holes down the side of the car is to re-skin it (quids +++) If it's a painted car, it's even more.

If you weren'y too bothered about the holes then a pair of unpainted wings and stays shouldn't be too expensive. Give the caterham parts dept a call for prices. You'll need the wings, wing stays, new front light mounts. Also, if your car has an older steering rack, you may find that it rubs the cylce wings against the body at full lock so a new rack may be a requirement.

I still haven't heard of a satisfactory and economical way of hiding the unsightly holes from the flared wings though.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

I saw a 'converted' car for sale at Hollingbourne (in Kent). It was not to difficult to see the change; I probably saw the big holes in the skin!!!!! As to the aerodynamics, I remember marshalling at Castle Coombe a couple of years back and there was a Caterham with a large rectangle cut out of the flaired wing & then it had been covered with mesh. This was to cut the lift at high speed & stop the errant stones!

So Nick, don't worry; part of this Caterham 'thing' is that there isn't one car like yours or mine in the whole world due to the added extras we all see as essential/must have bits but the cars are still recognisable as Sevens.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 years later...

here

I think the conversion to cycle wings was my first big mod. I didn't bother with a reskin, the car was bare ali, I filled the holes with big rivets like the ones which fix the scuttle near the sill. I had the car sprayed after, the rivet heads are hardly invisible but I lose no sleep over them.

There are loads of older threads on the conversion.

Edited by - Tyrone on 31 Aug 2012 00:15:59

Edited by - Tyrone on 31 Aug 2012 00:17:56