Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Failure Wobbly Steering wheel

CageyH

Ok, so my two and a half year old quick release steering wheel has worn after about 20,000 miles use. This is going to get expensive....

Before I go out and spend some more money, is there anyway I can fix the wobble. I have sideways play, and fore and aft movement. What can I check?

I also need to adjust the steering rack, but as I am going widetrack this winter, I may as well fit a new wide track rack? Car has done 50,000 miles now, so I suppose a bit of wear here is expected.

Oh well, time to take the car off the road, and fit the VHPD engine *tongue*

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. -- Bertrand Russell

Edited by - CageyH on 22 Sep 2006 16:50:53

Done the PTFE trick on the wheel. All movement seems to have gone 😬

I was a bit of a numpty. Bought new track rod ends, but forgot to get new nylocs. Any idea what size thread I need?

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. -- Bertrand Russell

It is a lifeline... but not when it comes to an MOT.

Seems to wear quickly. Almost tempted to go back to a fixed wheel.

The PTFE fix is basically removing the wheel, and wrapping some PTFE tape round the steering column where the ball bearing usually sit. This removes all play.

Track rod end replaced....

Steering rack adjusted...

Wobbly wheel fixed....

Now to adjust the handbrake *thumbup*

• 2 weeks later...