Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No oil pressure after foam baffle change (VX) - OK now

Tiny Tim

Changed the foam baffle on my VX today, complete with new sump gaskets and of course new oil and filter. All went well gaskets came off easily and all went back together ok(with help from my son *thumbup*)

Given the engine a few short bursts on the starter only but no oil pressure indicating on the gauge (electric sender) or light going out (Switch is on remote filter unit so oil may not have got there yet)

Can it take a long time to get oil pressure after a baffle change?

Thinking of dropping off the sump and having a look, but what to look for?

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset

Edited by - tiny tim on 30 Jul 2006 15:46:51

Tim,

Because Caterham chop the end off the picup in a perpendicular fashion, it is possible for it to seal agaisnt the base of the sump. Its a good idea to check you have around 2mm of clearance.

It is possible it may take a while to build up pressure. Just run it on the starter in 10 sec bursts - if you still get nothing after 10 goes, check the drain down had not caused the relief valve to jam. Also ground the wire on the back of the sender to earth to check you do not have a coincidental electrical problem.

K2RUM - The car of two halveswith a hole in the engine

Edited by - EFA on 29 Jul 2006 22:45:08

Had the sump off again. Checked pick up clearance (with some blue tac), seemed ok. Put some small slots in the pick up just in case (as per a previous thread). But still no oil pressure when turning on the starter motor (10 x 5 sec bursts). How long can I safely turn the engine over without the oil pressure showing on the gauge or the light going out?

Can I risk starting it for a very short time?

Any help greatly appreciated as I have a track day (my first!) a week on Monday but am away most of next week on business and have friend staying with us next weekend so time to work on the car is limited

Thanks

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset

Tim, not sure if it is the same as the K, but here goes:

There ia a small runner 'o' ring on the pickup whre it fits into the bottom of the block. If this is damged or omitted, it can lead to reduced / zero oil pressure.

I have found when i tried the cranking option on my K it never developed oil pressure, following a change (sump on or sump off change).

I AM NOT ADVISING YOU TO DO THIS

Started it up and bingo. Never tried the cranking method since.

/I AM NOT ADVISING YOU TO DO THIS

I have oil pressure! *smile* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Just kept cranking in short bursts until I suddenly noticed that the oil warning light had gone out, fired up and bingo the gauge went straight to a steady 3.5 bar. Ran for a short time, checked for leaks pressure ok at about 3 bar (low?).

Going to take it out for a blat and see if all ok.

Thanks for the suggestions

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset

Tim

Got your call and have sent separate email.

One thing always worth doing - did you part fill the filter with oil before you fitted it? If you have the standard Vx filter arrangement its at a bit of an angle so if you fill it right up it spils out and makes a bit of a mess until its screwed right in, so only fill about 3/4 full.

Paul

Also, agree with Arnie re pipe contact with sump. I had a witness mark on the bottom of my sump so I filed a couple of semi circular 3mm notches at the end of the pipe to ensure that oil can always get through. I also had the disintegrating/clogged foam problem after using Millers Oil. Both problems have now gone away having gone to dry sump. Let's just hope the pump belt stays on!

I have the remote filter set up and I did fill the filter before refitting. I also have filed 4 small notches in the pick up pipe.

Took the car out yesterday and it ran fine but the oil pressure seems a bit lower than before the change but I am using 5w/50 instead of 15w/50 (Mobil1). Wondering whether I need to go back to 15w/50?

Paul, thanks for the mail I will pick it up when I get home tonight.

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset