Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help! Ground Clearance

old captain slow

I've just fitted 13" wheels with 185/60 tyres. The previous wheels were 16". The car tends to bottom with two up on B roads. Spoke to Caterham and they siad in effect don't worry too much, but I am worrying. I'm going on the Le Mans trip next week and really want to take the little wheels as the car drives so much better.

Any views/experience/quick fixes?

I'd use the 16" wheels for LeMans. Some Bilstein shocks can be used the raise the car by moving a circlip with the car jacked up. Others adjust by rings being turned on a thread. The newer Bilstein shocks have no adjustment. I changed from 13" to 16" for the road on my old supersprint for this reason. My current car has 13" 50 profile tyres but for any really long distance road journeys, I use 14" 60 profile tyres and carry a spare sump! That's probably a little excessive though. It's hard to get enough speed up on a trip like the LM trip to really make the little tyres show there better handling so personally, I'd use the HPC alloys.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 11 Jun 2000 11:37:18

You can raise the ride height but what it would do to the handling would be a bit of trial and error if all 4 were raised.

If the car works well as it is, I'd still personally leave it alone. But that's because I haven't really got the time or patience (or skill) to set the car up properly! smile.gif

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

I have recently fitted the adjustable Bilsteins and they do, in fact, have both circlip and screwthreads albeit Caterham didn't machine the grooves low enough! (but that's another story). Long term I would definitely go that route, but agree with Alex that for safety sake use the 16" wheels for Le Mans. They are quite easy to adjust, taking probably no more than 40 minutes to do all four. For the road I set mine at 165mm rear and 135mm front which seems to provide a reasonable handling/pothole compromise.

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 12 Jun 2000 17:43:52

• 2 weeks later...

I took my live axle with 13" wheels and Spax's, on the Le Mans trip and managed to ground it 3 times. The last being over the speed bumps outside the passport check out in Portsmouth. Luckily, the sump survived to fight another day.

Robert

I've had two broken sumps on 13" wheels and none on 14 or 16 inch wheels. I went on the Le mans trip in 96 and had my go at following Fast Arnie.... It was easier once his fuel pump broke. Still didn't really get to slide or drift the car on the road though.smile.gif

I remain unconvinced that you can really get enough speed on public roads to make a Seven really show it's handling without disengaging one's brain smile.gif I know this because I've disengaged mine on occasion! The worst time was on the Targa Florio in Sicily where I really gave it everything for 43 miles and 900 corners on a public road on normal road tyres on 14" wheels. There were a few moments when a bit more grip wouldn't have gone amiss!!

If you took an HPC to the French country roads on 13" wheels and didn't whack the sump a few times, you definitely weren't going fast enough!! cool.gif

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

Edited by - Alex Wong on 21 Jun 2000 19:25:31

Thanks for the responses. I went to Le Mans on the HPC wheels as you recommended, Alex. All well. I did have a look round at the 13" cars, but most had 185/70 tyres that give about 1/2" extra ground clearance. One guy had the 60 profile tyres, but he had adjustable shocks - no worries. So I think I may explore that route.

As for speed - you can get it up so to speak on the Mullsane (spelling?) straight early in the morning. Sufficient to blow a cooling system gasket at any rate!

One of the first lessons of R 500 ownership is that a new magnesium sump costs in the region of £450.00 quid,- if you can get one. I should know I just broke mine on a public road taking my wife for a Sunday drink ! -

My advice to any Caterham owner is err on the side of caution;- lower your car for track days and raise it for road use.

Jules.

They must have let you have it cheap - I was quoted 565.96+vat for the magnesium dry sump pan! The ali one is less than half the price and weights 1kg more - fit one of these and invite the wife wear/eat/drink less and you're quids in all round.

Mike

I have noticed that my 'K' series has a sump pan that appears to be set further back than the old cross flow lump (& is approx 10mm lower). This is on 'Prisoner' 15" with 50 profiles.I have found on the dreaded speed humps locally (only 400mm wide or so) at 1-2 mph the front wheels go over the hump before the sump clears! I have actually found an oil leak when I went into the garage after a run the previous day. It turned out to be the sump plug coming undone after hitting an obstruction of the humpy kind; you can see the mark on the built in washer/head. Needless to say it is now drilled & wire locked!!!!!!! Have a map with the bad areas marked on it now.

I had the same problem with grounding at customs in Portsmouth, also on one occasion into the camp site. I dont think its the sump although I havnt checked, but rather the funny sort of hooped chassis bit that hangs down behind the bell housing. Is this an important structural feature?

Older live axle cars have the hoop. It won't protect cockpit occupants from the flailing end of the propshaft 'cos the hoop is underneath, but it will prevent the front of the propshaft dropping down/digging in/launching the car... - don't know if that was it's purpose or whether it was just chassis stiffening.

Mike

Interesting replies. Going to speak to Caterham cos the bloody thing just gets in the way. The thought of a prop shaft going bang is rather sobering in a car with vitually no substance to its bodywork and floor pan and the launching theory is also sobering but later cars must have the same potential for disaster.

I've just had my Xflow sump welded up after (finally) grinding a hole in it. the guy who fixed it has added a lump of checker plate underneath to make it last a bit longer.

Sleeping policemen can be negotiated with less sump damage by driving overthem diagonally, one wheel at a time, so the front doesn't drop so quick and you don't bounce the suspension (even a little). As for those damn speedbumps in Smallfield - drive down the middel of the road if pooible - get the sump to go between them & you don't have to slow down at all smile.gif

Edited by - Dave h on 30 Jun 2000 13:04:31