Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dodgy Fuel from Arnage

Andy Best

Filled up on Sunday night at Arnage and another of are party filled up Monday morning (Esso 98 ron whatever it was). Both cars ran poorly on the way back, if fact Andy got the RAC back from the port Mine was only missing, popping/banging and kangarooing, filled up with some Total when back to the UK and the car ran marginally better. Both cars K series Andy's a higher state of tune. Just taken out all the plugs and inlet sensors they're all really sooty cleaned them all put them back in with a tank of optimax the car is running better. In fact back to normal above 2000 rpm but still missing slightly under load below 2000 rpm.

Did anyone else experience this type of behaviour and is it just dodgy fuel or should I be looking at other possibilities. I feel that once I've run through this tank of Optimax all will be OK again or is that wishful thinking.

If it was still a shell garage I might have thought I had got some of that Audi fuel in it 😬.

Andy

• Leadership Team

Having been a passenger in Andy's car last week, I can vouch for the fact that it's running pretty grim *eek*

Unless it's his driving of course 😬

Stu.

Is it one of those garages that probably sells 10 times the amount it normally does over the LM week ? Could it be that the new fuel deliveries never get time to 'settle' during that week and some water/crap that has been stirred up gets past the filters and into customers cars ? Most likely water

Although it doesn't apply to cars, all aircraft fuel once delivered to an airport has to be allowed to settle for a minimum period before it is delivered to a plane, and they have more filters and moisture traps than you can shake a stick at, so allowing fuel to settle before sale is generally good practice

Graham, on the other hand you want to buy from a busy garage so the fuel isn't weeks old as Aves says above.

When I ran forecourts (30 years ago) we had to do water tests every week. Put some paste on the dipstick and if it changed colour there was water present.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

We filled up (supercharged Cooper S Works) there and had trouble keeping up with a Porsche 959 on the autoroute so maybe...

Actually, with the amount of fuel they must have sold there I'd be surprised if there was a problem unless you just happened to fill up with dregs before their tanks were refilled. Unless they filled their tanks with lower octane fuel by mistake...

Didn't we have thunderstorms too - that would have resulted in low barometric pressure which the basic K ECU doesn't account for IIRC so maybe that led to over-rich mixture and sooting? Or am I talking out of my RS?

Andy

Water and debris in the bottom of the station's tank stirred up and ended up in yours...

If you see a tanker at a station drive on by; refilling the underground storage tank will stir up all the muck and water at the bottom.