Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tonneau bodywork fastener

c7jhc

While away in Le Mans I used the tonneau for the first time on a regular basis. The off side fastener base just ahead of the wheek arch has pulled out of the body. Before anyone asks - Caterham fitted the tonneau! I have just tried to rivet it back but the hole is now too large so it doesn't hold. I would use a backing washer but there is no access to fit one. Would a strong adhesive (HV350 or similar) do the trick? Any suggestions/advice please.

a trick I have seen used is to first insert a larger rivet into the hole (one of the wide head ones), then carefully drill out the centre. You can then use a std rivet to fix the popper base (the larger rivet head ends up hidden behind the popper base so is an acceptable result cosmetically)

the alternative I guess is to remove some of the rivets from the interior panel so you can get a washer on at the rear.

Kevin Thomas

The 7 Gallery... with added BBCi

Ooops I've deleted the jpg. rivets. I've just had two more pull out last night so I'll take a few pics. If you're over at Penn Sevens meet this weekend I'll bring a few over.

Formerly 7 COX, Rob Cox-Allison's Road Brick

here

Edited by - TwinCam Jeff on 21 Jun 2006 08:25:16

Edited by - TwinCam Jeff on 21 Jun 2006 09:22:52

Edited by - TwinCam Jeff on 21 Jun 2006 09:23:32

Edited by - TwinCam Jeff on 21 Jun 2006 09:24:00

Twincam Jeff,

Where did you get those rivets?

I need to refit a couple of poppers for my tonneau too.

I've been putting it off as I didn't fancy drilling out the inner panels (again)

Those rivets look like an ideal solution *thumbup*

If you have a few you would like to sell, can you blatmail me.

Cheers

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less!

Steve,

Peel Pop Rivets as shown above can be obtained from RS Components, part number RS 511-6829, £2.29 per bag of 100. Note: that the flange is 6.65mm and will need filing down a bit to fit inside a press stud.

Cheers

Formerly 7 COX, Rob Cox-Allison's Road Brick

here