Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Other diffs for a 7

RiF

Always think the noise of the diff lets the car down *confused*

With a ZF LSD the banging, clonking etc is OK with an aeroscreen but with a windscreen it is annoying. As a diff it works brilliantly.

So apart from the usual other LSD (Quaffe...)is there anything else? The Caterham distributor in France used BMW diffs *confused* but are any LSD? As most BMW are rear wheel it is perhaps a possibility?

I gather the ZF are almost impossibe to get again so has anyone researched a good alternative from another car.

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Older BMWs (e.g. E30s) have low ratio diffs typically (low 3.x:1) and many have LSDs, e.g. 325 sport, M3, 320iS.

Another option is the Freelander diff that Westfield use.

You'd have to change your diff mounts though, get the LSD modified to suit a lighter car, and get bespoke drive shafts so it's a lot of hastle to change. Chances are, any diff will make the same noises anyhow so it's probably a waste of time.

I was in a workshop recently, and a Suburu Impreza was up on the ramp, so wandered under it for a look around, as you do, and noticed it had a very neat and small diff. Whether it would fit a Seven I don't know, but the chances are that it would have an LSD, and there should be a few around in scrap yards, now that the prices are low enough for the Chavs to be getting their hands on them ☹️

Paul J. Life is what happens, while I'm planning something better!

Hi Richard

I had a good look at the WCM Ultralite while on the 7 tour of the US last year. This uses a Subaru diff which judging by the performance of the two cars on the tour is more than up to the job and yet is small and light and comes standard with a limited slip. I think the latest Ultralite has over 300hp so handling the power should be a problem. Maybe have a look at the Ultralite web site for info.

Very interesting *wink* Have not thought about Subaru! Will investigate further.

BOSS, Hi there, how is it going? Yes I know they can be adjusted but even then I have not found anyone who is that happy.

As I am building a new car I thought it may be worth looking further into this. Modifying diff mounts now would be simple while the chassis is bare.

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon