Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to refix a rear wing?

Farmer_Terry

A track day at Snetterton started well (photos here) but then an errant cone left out on the Esses hit the rear wing and pulled out the first three rivnuts leaving three huge holes. ☹️

There are photos of the damage here and, as I have no idea how to start to repair this ( *confused*), I wondered what (if any) options I have - I can’t possibly be the first person to have this problem.

Is it possible to weld aluminium this thin and put some plates on? If not, is glue an option? Any and all suggestions received very gratefully.

Farmer Terry (and his car)

Terry

you can normally tap the aluminium back flat and refit rivnuts. A fair number of us now use rubber rivnuts and nylon bolts designed to do less damage to the skin in the event of a coming together. Used to be a guy on here (sign on Kaytee) selling a fittings pack, might be worth doing a search for his e-mail address

Mark

As Mark says, you can carefully tap the aluminium reasonably flat and provided the resulting hole isn't too big, an alternative to the rubber rivnuts is to use slightly bigger standard type rivnuts and nylon screws. RS Components do Rivnuts which although still an M5 internal thread, are a bigger outside diameter and grip far better than the standard CC items.

If you let me have your address, I can post you a few. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

• Area Representative

Have to agree with Graham, I think you got off pretty lightly Terry.

I can also vouch for the quality of Brent's rivnuts, and have depleted his stock quite a bit during my rebuild 😳 Thanks mate 😬

Crudders

P.S. If I can find my vernier I'll post up the shank diameter of the super duper M5 rivnuts. It's certainly a lot bigger and I reckon they'll fill your stretched holes. As it were.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I don’t think these are likely to knock flat – there is very little “funneling” to flatten. They just look like a bl**dy great holes!

If you let me have your address, I can post you a few

Brent.

I have sent you my address separately – thank you very much – can I make a donation to NtL?

You say they come from RS (did they used to be Radiospares when I were a lad?). Can you give me a contact? I have a couple of businesses here, (although neither of them electronic related) and I might be able to get a account. Are they difficult?

I see you live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Have you seen my brother there recently? He, too, moved there some time back, declaring it an all round better place to be than here. Of course. If there are a great many people there, you might need a photo. He used to answer to the name of Neil. *biggrin*

Terry

Glad you are enjoying the car. Damage is very superficial and easy to sort out as others have said. if you get a bit stuck give McMillan Motorsports a call and they'll soon sort it out. They probably do at least half a dozen of these every race meeting

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 9

Mike

I have to be honest - phoning someone else is more my kind of answer. My co-pilot, who normally looks after these things, is highly stressed elsewhere at the moment, so if Brent's super rivnuts won't do it, I might try McMillans. Thanks for the tip.

Will you be at the Swan tomorrow?

As everyone has said:

- Knock flat with ball end of pein hammer (preferably)

- Insert new rivnuts (you will need a rivnut tool - I'm sure someone near you will lend you one)

- Re-attach wing

Don't worry, it is very simple and you won't notice it was ever gone. You may also need to knock back a few of the intact rivnuts if they have 'pulled' the aluminium - in order to get the wing sitting flat against the car.

Or take it to Bruntinghorpe and get Andy to sort it *smile*

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

• Area Representative

Terry, the Chiswick/RS M5 Rivnuts are designed for a 7.5mm hole. If that's too small you could go up to M6, which require a 10mm hole. An M6 screw should fit your wing hole OK as they are made a little oversize to provide a limited range of adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Crudders

I had similar problems when I replaced my rear wings. Why not try anchor nuts held in place with 2 x 3mm rivets. I got them from Trident Racing supplies.here

M5 fixed anchor nuts = 69p each

M5 bolts = 8p each

M5 nylock nuts = 3p each

all +VAT

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

More great ideas. Thanks again.

There is an element of presure here as I have a bunch of old schoiol friends coming up this weekend, and some are going to want a ride in it, so I might give McMillans a ring in case the rivnuts don't work but (newbie that I am) is "Andy at Bruntinghorpe" the same as "McMillan Motorsports" and can anyone give me a number? Nothing in Google, and nothing in Low Flying.

You can also get the rubber rivnuts and the plastic wing bolts from Redline. Got mine from there after my nearside rear wing had an argument with a local cat which decided to get on the road as I drove past it. I already had the plastic shear nuts fitted, so virtually no damage to the alloy skin or the wing itself. they just parted cleanly

Another *thumbup* for the rivnut/plastic bolt combo. It's really simple to fit, even for a noddy like me.

If you really want to minimise damage next time, I hear that some of the racing folk even cut little nicks in the plastic bolts to make them shear more easily, but that sounds a bit dicey to me!

stephen

What can I say - a HUGE thank you to everybody. 😬

I will look forward to receiving those rivnuts Brent, and thanks everyone else for all the other recommended places to get this stuff. It is very reassuring when one is a) very old and b) a total beginner in these things to have such a store of knowledge and reassurance available.

In the event, because of the pressure to get something running by Saturday if at all possible, I took it over to McMillan where Andy looked at it and said “no problem” and within 5 minutes it was all back on again. Fantastic. I also realised what people had been talking about here. He then fixed two other small problems, advised on two more, and said that we had the front wheels set to the wrong camber angle for use on track days. *confused*

Then he faced me with the bill. Nothing. Zilch. Free. No charge. I couldn’t believe it. What a place. The car will be going over there for a complete going over at the end of the season. *thumbup*

All in all then I will be much better equipped then next time it happens, both in terms of knowledge and kit.

Thanks again everyone. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Edited by - Farmer_Terry on 14 Jun 2006 18:00:19

• Area Representative

They're called Rawlnuts RS - you should be able to find them in hardware shops, builder's merchants or even the dreaded B&Q, but if not then RS do a good range here

Crudders