Click here if you are having website access problems ×

o/t Belgian 7's

caterhamnut

A good friend of mine, Sven, who lives near Antwerp, is about to jump into 7 ownership. Any Caterham owners over there in Belgium who might be able to help us with a few questions about importing older models- any issues etc?

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Elie Boone is a great guy for 7ing stuff, helped me out of a hole with a duff Lumenition, seems to of had a wide and varied motoring experience, and is also a very nice fellow to yarn with over the interweb thing. Regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

😬

Cheers all - I knew who you all were, thread a cunning way to get you all in the same place, so that Sven, my mate, can get your emails and contact you, which I think he had done/will do soon. I think he is keen to buy in the next few weeks/months, as his tin top has broken! I think Bruce's car is ideal, but no idea on if he can import it, or is better running it as a UK car.....thanks in advance for your help guys!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Hi Guys - big thanks to you for helping Sven out - much appreciated. Drink in Ghent sounds like a great idea Bruno *thumbup* - aah - I remember the days - I studied in Antwerp for about 3-4 months back in 1990 (when I met Sven) and then returned there for another 6 months or so after graduating - bumming around really - great times 😬 Sven has wanted a Caterham since meeting me and hearing me go on about them - expensive repair bill to his tintop has pushed him into going for it now!

Stijn - right about the k-series - with his budget he can get into the cheapest k series cars, which would be better for everyday, all year running in reality.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Drink in Ghent sounds like a great idea Bruno

Already have put the beer in the fridge 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup*

IMHO, if Sven's budget would allow, I would advice to go for a 1.6 K Roadsport or Supersport.

I myself started with a standard 1.4 K only to start upgrading it after 3 months to Supersport specs. The 1.4 K was a great little engine, but you had to rev it like hell to get the best out of it ... and it had absolute no torque ... Because of this, I planned to upgrade to 1.6 K Supersport but bought a 2005 R300 instead 😳 😬

Thats right Bruno - 1.6k would be good - if budget allows! I think the budget is about £9k - but i guess he also needs to allow for any import costs. It seems any left hand drive car over there sells at a massive premium compared to UK prices!

I have said not to worry too much if a good base car comes up with a 1.4 - its pretty easy and cheap to upgrade to a 1.6k if you know the right people - better to get a good base chassis/equipment level....

www.mycaterham.com

here

I seem to remember that Belgium has a huge registration tax on new cars, was it 50%! This leads to manufacturers prices being really low (if you subtract the tax) which is why Belguim was the best place to buy grey imports.

Things may have changed as I've been out of that for a few years now.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Angus ... I agree completely when you live in the UK ... : better go for a good base even if it's a 1.4 K, which you indeed can upgrade pretty cheaply to 1.6 K (or more) ...

But in Belgium an engine swap is a bit more of a problem ... lots of paperwork ... and you'll need to pass via the technical control again ... ☹️. On top of that, you'll need a certificate from the manufacturer & I doubt Caterham would provide this if they haven't performed the conversion themselves ...

LHD's indeed sell at a massive premium compared to RHD's *mad* : expect to pay around 13.5K to 15k GBP's for a good LHD 1.4 K Supersport *eek* *eek* *eek*

Norman, the tax on purchase in Belgium is 21% for cars ... but on top of that you have to pay an additional tax when you register the car, this tax is based on the KW of the car and rises exponentional (for an R300 this already is aorund 1700 GBP's *mad*).

I however think that the Scandinavian countries have a 50% tax on new cars though...

Edited by - Slider@7 on 14 Jun 2006 09:30:52

50% thats cheap...

A basic BMW 320i will cost you 48.000£ here in Denmark

That makes new Caterhams inaccessable, but for vintage cars we only pay 40% of the price when the car was produced.

My car? a 1968 Lotus Super Seven 1600 XF *wink*

Exactly right Stijn - VVC will be out of budget, but a 1.6k should be ok - no need for a 6-speed box for the use he will give it.....

I'm sure Sven will have no problem popping over here to pick up tires and bits 😬 - he is a confirmed Anglophile!!

In fact - are you over for business anytime soon Stijn...? *smile*

www.mycaterham.com

here