Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Momo steering wheel mounted horn button

z7

• Area Representative

I have a non-quick-release Momo steering wheel with SVA pad, with a dash mounted horn button. I've never really got on with this setup and I want to fit button(s) on the steering wheel.

The SVA pad already has two holes in it (currently with blanking plugs) which woud be ideal. I don't want to drill the s/wheel itself. I think any wires will go between the SVA pad and the wheel easily. It seems that the s/wheel boss and column are earthed and I'm wondering if this might help produce a simpler and neater solution.

1 - has anyone else done this and can offer advice or tips?

2 - any recommendations for suitable buttons?

3 - do you have any thoughts of issues I need to be concerned with? The only major one I can think of is what to do with the wiring as the s/wheel is turned.

Thanks

Adil

• Area Representative

Ferrino, thanks. *thumbup* I had thought of this but I really want a very discreet solution. Ideally, the only visible part would be the buttons on the s/wheel. I probably won't be able to get such a solution but that's what I'm aiming for atm.

Hi Adil

Well I have a very small red button on the dash not quite what you asked but its just behind my hand at the 2 o'clock position so I just move my hand back to sound the horn not that its really use much. Pop round if you like to have a look or see if it suits you.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 5 Jun 2006 20:30:47

Adil

Check whether your steering wheel boss and column are actually earthed. I wanted to use that property for one particular circuit and found that my steering wheel (Q/R type) is floating about 5K ohms above earth.

For my CatFlash circuit (steering wheel mounted indicator switches) I use a small multicore flat telephone cable between the steering wheel and the circuit unit itself. I tie-wrap it loosely underneath the steering column.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• Area Representative

Cheers Bilbo, but I'll see if I can get a good solution to mounting on the wheel first.

Chris, I did a quick continuity check and got a "beep", but didn't think to check the actual resistance. Thanks for the pointer *thumbup*

Adil