Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CatDipper - one button headlight system

Chris W

The latest gadget I have designed for the 7 is the "CatDipper" and it works as follows:

At the moment you have 2 toggle switches to control the headlights, viz:

1. a spring-loaded flasher switch which works all the time and (believe it or not) flashes the mainbeams on demand, and

2. A dip/mainbeam switch which, when the headlight switch is ON, changes the headlights from dip to main or main to dip depending on its position

I have now designed the CatDipper which does away with the dip/main switch and uses the spring-loaded flasher switch to carry out both functions, as follows:

1. If the headlight switch is OFF, the flasher switch acts as a flasher switch, flashing the headlights at all times on demand when flicked

2. If the headlight switch is ON, the flasher switch will toggle the headlights between dip and main at each flick of the switch.

From personal experience it is so much easier to have the one switch to reach for instead of two. It makes the whole operation so much simpler at night when continually changing from dip to main whilst driving. I have designed it such that when the headlights are first switched ON, they will always come on in the dipped position for added safety.

The unit uses connectors of opposite gender to the present set-up together with appropriate colour coding so fitting takes all of 5 minutes. Just unplug the wires from the switches and plug them into the colour-coded CatDipper. Job done. It's a doddle.

The circuit uses a microprocessor for reliability and precise operation. The unit is approx 4"x2"x1.5" and can be easily hidden behind the right hand panel near your right knee.

I can only make these for the price if I get at least 10 orders so if enough of you want them, I will make a batch. Price is £68 + £5p&p or collect from my home if convenient (nr Dunstable, Beds.)

Let me know

Cheers

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 5 Jun 2006 11:59:26

As a cheaper alternative, how about an on-off-mom switch?

I now use one so that up is the "on" position, which puts main beam on and a "mom"entary press down flashes the lights. I find it works really well and is quite intuitive.

I seem to remember that it needed a changeover relay adding as well, to mimic the functionality of the main/dip switch, but overall was very simple to incorporate into/onto(?) the standard wiring.

Just my 2p'th - I can see the benefits of Chris' system as well (especially the always coming on in dip mode)

A suggestion to add to the functionality would be a headlight buzzer which buzzes when the ignition has BEEN on but NOW is off (ie you've just arrived and switched the car off) AND the headlights are on. I almost left mine on yesterday, had someone not said something!

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by - Dai-X on 5 Jun 2006 17:10:45

Good idea Ben.

I should have thought of adding a "Lights left-ON" buzzer when I designed the CatDipper and it didn't occur to me.

I could add the functionality and reprogram the microprocessor for no additional cost if that would make it more attractive to people. So now the CatDipper would also incorporate a buzzer which sounds if the ignition is OFF but the headlight switch is ON. ie: a lights-On warning.

Does this appeal to anyone? I would still need a minimum of 10 orders to make it worthwhile building.

Let me know folks otherwise I'll dump the project.

Cheers

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here