Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Geothermal heating systems

metal mickey

Take a look here, it's a guy called Steve Carter who's an ex 7 owner building a place up in Scotland. He's in the process of installing such a system I believe although I'm not sure how far he's got.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind a quick email especially is you say you got his name from me.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Mike,

I've spent the last few months looking at various "eco-friendly" heating options. The ground source heat pumps which I suspect that you are refering to are very very good. The technology is not new, the Canadians have been using it for years as have the Germans and Scandis. I kept coming back to two problems, 1. recouping cost and 2. figuring out what you do with the heat produced. Underfloor heating makes best use of the relatively low temp water that is produced but obviously disruptive to retro-fit. There are, starting to appear from Italy (I think) some very high efficency radiators that are supposed to work well but they are expensive and very bulky. Last option is the heating units that tend to be used in commercial premises again bulky and expensive to fit, can be used as air con i.e. run system in reverse and dump heat to the ground (instaling a reversible system disqualifies you for Goverment Grant which I think is 20% for domestic) Three phase power, which I assume you have for your workshop is a big bonus to run the bigger pumps more efficently. If you want more info (I have stacks of stuff) drop me a line or give me a call. I would think for your set up if you could do house, workshop and cottages it would work very well indeed.

All the best

Alan

Rob it depends where you are, up in Derbyshire I suspect Mike will have to bore straight down but not necessarily. For us we would use a horizontal array of pipes buried between 1-2m on a piece of ground which slopes slightly to the south, perfect for picking up heat. I know Mike has fields around him, these could be used and trenches are a lot cheaper to dig than boreholes.

Micro CHP seems to be the best current option for controllable green energy provided you have mains gas and a grid connection (to dump surplus generation).

Google 'Whispergen'

Ground source heat pumps look good if you're in the sticks and have a big garden to bury all the pipes in but high capital costs and there are running costs associated so it is not free engery.

Thanks *thumbup*From the info I have I could use a 'closed loop' system of pipes in trenchs 2mtr deep. The info also states that for every 1kw of energy used running the heat pump 4.75kw is gained in thermal energy. As the intention is to install the system in a barn conversion I think under floor heating is the way forward and use any extra energy for heating household water.

Mike for a new build underfloor is def the way forward, apparently can even be done upstairs nowadays. The figures quoted for energy returns have been stretched a bit I reckon, average quoted is 3Kw for 1, best I've seen 4 for 1.

PS given any more thought to doing some metal work masterclasses?? *cool* (

Wind and tidal generation contribute to friction in the ocean and atmosphere and slow down the earth's rotation. Geothermal heat extraction will cool the earth's interior and leave the planet as barren as Mars. In time. But at least we'll know who to blame now, won't we?