Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Real Minilites

Davey Bee

I was at the Kit Car show on Sunday and was looking at the Minilites on one of the stands. By all accounts they were the original magnesium Minilites still being made by same company from the sixties. Must say that they are a lot lighter than the alloy replicas.

So what I need to know, are they going to be lighter than Mike Barnaby wheels. Also apart from the cost of replacing the whole wheel in the event of damaging one, what other advantage do split rims have over one piece wheels, given that I would order the size that I wanted in the first place.

TRY 5S

Confussed

Once had a set of Minilites, had to sell them to help fund a house move ☹️

Only disadvantage that I can think of is that if you were to decide at a later date to have wider tyres, you may have to replace the whole wheel and not just the rims. An advantage of splits is that you can vary the offset if you need to.

On the other hand, Minilites are designed to survive on a one ton rally car with flat tyres in the forests, so on a seven they should be somewhat understressed.

I have a set of non magnesium minilites, tried to order another two sets but they were shall we say a bit lacking in focus. I still want some more as they are a nice product but they quoted around 7 weeks delivery (assuming the guy that runs it is not on holiday!) and a not insubstantial £136 per wheel from memory

Mark

Mark you need to put the numbers in different positions if the figure that I was quoted are anything to go by. Yes Barry I can see that selling a set could fund a house.

TRY 5S

Confussed

Edited by - Davey Bee on 5 May 2006 08:02:47

Panasport has some very nice Minilight replica's they are very light and have steel inserts for the bolts.

They are pretty light to but not cheap at about 750£ for 5 and it will take some time if you order them because they are made in Japan and sold in the US of A.

Elie, are they actually magnesium? 🤔 I know there are a lot of repros about and the mag ones are 33% lighter....makes a hell of a difference! I reckon a lot of alloy wheels are heavier than the steels they have replaced. *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Clive, If an accident was that bad I reckon you'de be brown bread anyway, so not in a position to be too fussed.

True enough, the US helicopter airframes in 'Nam which were made in magnesium burned sufficiently hot after accidents to cause the bodies to shrivel down to a really tiny size, so they were called "Crispy critters" by the death squad guys who were designated to recover them.

Seems a human head shrinks down to the size of an orange under magnesium burn heat. 😳 😳 😳

New Nadirs Keenly Saught

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Does that mean that in an accident my head could match my brain. Not buying can't have three parts of my body under-size..............Don't ask 😬

If anyone could answer my first post I would be happy. Are they lighter than MB wheels, and if so by how much.

TRY 5S

Confussed