Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Righthand Indicator Flashing at Twice Speed

Greg Park

OK I've narrowed it down to the fact the right front indicator under the right main light isn't coming on.

The bulb is OK as i've replaced it with one that works in the left hand front indicator.

As the bulb isn't coming on at all I assume it's probably just a loose connection, rather than an earthing problem?

Do I just dismantle and check all connections or is their a more straight forward route for checking?

Parky

G 7 HPC the 'Rubystone Red' HPC

The indicator earth wire, if your car is the same as mine, is a black wire. It is fed through the headlamp mounting, into the headlamp unit itself, then attached to an earthing screw in the base of that unit. You can test the "power" lead by means of a multimeter connected to the green indicator wire and to earth, with the indicator switched on, or by connecting the black wire to another earth point. All of the front light and indicator wires are connected via a multiplug adjacent to the headlamp bracket pinch bolt inside the engine bay. I would put money on the earth connection inside the headlamp being faulty 😬

The double-rate flash is a design feature built into the electronics of the flasher unit. Its purpose is to indicate (no pun intended) that a bulb has blown. The circuit can't differentiate however between a blown bulb and a bad connection - it just sees no bulb.

So if the bulb itself is working, which you have stablished by swapping over the bulbs, then the issue is definitely a bad 12v feed to the bulb or an earthing problem.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

9 times out of 10 if this isn't a blown bulb it's a bad earth. *smile* To test, if you have +12v at the bulb connector and the bulb is good, the earth has broken somewhere. A spare bit of wire can be very handy for these things to rig up extra earths (direct to chassis or battery -ve) and see if the fault disappears. Be careful what you do with this wire because if you accidentally connect the 12v live directly to earth you'll have a blown fuse. ☹️