Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Small silver (not big red) start button

AdamQ

I've bought one of these here. They also do one with a 'fitting kit' here.

In a senior moment, I misread the description of the wiring kit to mean that it consisted of 2 wires, which seemed a bit steep for £18. Having recovered my senses (alas, too late), I realise that the kit probably includes a relay and what have you.

To get to the point of this post, as I understand it, I'll be OK with what I've got provided there is a relay already included in the ignition circuit. So, is there a relay already there? The car is a 1999 K series Roadsport.

I can't see one on the circuit diagram and the rating of the commonly-used big red button from Farnell suggests that one needs a switch that can handle a large current, as does the recommendation to use 25 A wire in the 7FAQ section on start buttons.

There are no words on or with the switch I've bought.

Any assistance gratefully recieved.

Adam

Hi Adam

The K series 7's already have a relay in the MFU under the ecu. The button just energises this relay. However I do not know exactly how the button is wired into the car but I expect there are pleanty of people here who do! You will hear from them soon.

Cheers

NigelJ

Adam

If you have an ignition relay (which you will have on a standard '99 Roadsport) then, as I have pointed out before on Techtalk, the 7FAQ is incorrect in stating you need 25 amp wire. The current to the relay through the starter button will be a maximum of about 100mA (ie: any general equipment wire will suffice).

While there's no electrical detriment to using 25A wire where it's not needed, it is physically much thicker and stiffer which means it's harder to manipulate, costs more and takes up more room under the dash.

The starter relay is not shown on the Caterham circuit diagram because it's inside what's known as the MFRU (Multi-Function Relay Unit) which is the black box about 4"x3"x2" which sits on top of, or under, (depending on year) the large metal ECU unit. These are usually situated right near to the battery. Your circuit diagram just shows the two MFRU connectors with pin numbers. (My website contains photos and a circuit diagram of the inside of the MFRU - click below).

Bottom line - your switch will be perfect, you don't need another relay and you can use thin, low-current equipment wire.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

I thought the Richbrook kit was a combined ignition switch & starter. Press once and ignition on, press again and starter engages, press 3rd time and ignition switched off.

Not sure why I think this.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Chris, I'm pretty sure thats what the kit is, a small loom and a relay. It's in Burtons catalouge but I can't find mine.

ed to ad that I've looked on their web site and all it says is "RICHBROOK PRO-START PUSH START BUTTON, ILLUMINATED"

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 28 Apr 2006 10:23:27

Chris,

Many thanks indeed for the comprehensive, idiot-proof, answer - music to my ears!

Norman, I can't say if you're right or wrong having gone for just the button itself (not illuminated - looked a bit neon to me so kept it basic), but I'm sure you're right. The information on all the sites where the button is mentioned is limited to day the least (mind you, it is just a button I suppose).

As for that functionality, am I right in saying that it would probably be of most interest to those with Q-R steering wheels (i.e. those without steering locks)? I can just see myself starting up and belting off having forgotten to turn the key to allow the wheel to turn *eek*

Thanks again,

Adam

Chris,

YHM

If you can design a circuit that

Press once and ignition on, press again and starter engages, press 3rd time and ignition switched off

I would certainly be interested, and would be willing try out your circuit on my k series car. I posted a similar query about 6 weeks ago and still can't find a kit to do the above anywhere.

Andy

Edited by - Andy Best on 28 Apr 2006 22:26:03