Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hand brake

Pierre Gillet

I just experienced a problem with my Renault Espace which is fitted with rear disc brakes. The efficiency of the hand brake has never been impressive, and now that it get older, it has not passed the compulsory technical control that we have every two years. I am concerned that my 1.6 K Seven will not pass the test too since the hand brake is almost not existing as on all the Seven I guess.

How you guys in GB and Germany manage in your countries?

i don't know about everyone elses, but my handbrake does work and the MOT test station's (MOT is the name of our road worthyness test in the UK) do check it works as well.

Once you have adjusted it correctly there are two schools of thought from there on.

1) Never use it again to park with and when you have the car tested it will work still.

(Not recommended)

OR

2) Use it occasionaly and it won't sieze up.

I never use it, but work on the find a friendly test station theory, then normally with a big hairy machanic pulling with all his might it just scrapes through. I think that many small garages want the car to pass rather than look for reasons to fail it, after all they are car enthusiasts too.

I have heard of handbrakes becoming ineffective once the pads have cooled & shrunk, leaving your car free to make it's merry way down the nearest hill, so try to give the brakes plenty of time to cool off first. Maybe ask them to do the handbrake before the foot brakes?

Geoff

I got fed up with not being able to reach the handbrake in a full harness and bought a Demon Tweeks 'line lock' which works on the front brakes.

The unit was welded to a steel plate with two mounting holes drilled. These then fit onto the windscreen mounting bolts. Stainless braided pipes run to/from the master brake cylinder. A lever moves through 90 degrees to operate th valve. You press the brake pedal, move the lever down (it is right next to my right knee) and the lift off the pedal - the front brakes stay on!

I can do 'handbrake' starts on steep hills without moving anything but my right hand, and in a full harness.

I wouldn't leave it on permanently but it certainly works a treat. And if you want, you can also use it to warm the rear tyres at speed events . . . if they allow it.

Pierre

I mean I wouldn't trust the front brake hydraulic system to stay 'up' for a few days, holding the car on a hill! Anyway, with my luck, the front pads would bond themselves forever to the discs.

Are you at Le Mans this year - I can show you the demon fix in the flesh?

Tim

Well Tim, I am not sure I will go to le Mans this year because of a family committment.I figure that you will be with the other Sevens. If I finally can go, you may want to give me your car number or a cell phone number. I would certainly love to see your car.Mine is a 1.6 K 40th Anniversary.

Cheers,

Pierre

Well Tim, I am not sure I will go to le Mans this year because of a family committment.I figure that you will be with the other Sevens. If I finally can go, you may want to give me your car number or a cell phone number. I would certainly love to see your car.Mine is a 1.6 K 40th Anniversary.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

The car is P127 MLE, 1996 ali and carbon fibre, black magnesium Dymag wheels, F2 Cosworth engine. If you are very interested and can't make it, I could take a few digital pics and email to you. Or perhaps I should submit a mag article!

Tim

Tim,

Some photos of the car and of the special hand brake device also would be very appreciated since I shall finally not go to Le Mans ( my wife family comes you know..). The engine must be great too!

Why not submit a technical article to Low Flying and win a free application.

Pierre