Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rollbar fitting.

Burt1969

Hi all,

I have manged to get an FIA bar for my car, but things don't seem to quite line up and the boot cover certainly wont fit.

Old bar fits like this here

new bar tries to fit like this here

Can anyone advise/help. Mine is a 1985 Live axle short cockpit.

And if Purple Ronnie is out there a photo of yours would be really useful.

Thanks in advance, Phil.

Our Kitty!

Edited by - burt1969 on 20 Feb 2006 11:44:01

I might be wrong but it looks like you might have a de-dion roll bar.

You need an early de-dion/live axle rollbar with a hole for the top mounting suspension as shown in your pics. You will probably need to adjust or get a new boot cover though.

Dry-sumped White Supersprint *smile*

I'm sure the guy that sold it said it came of a Live axle short cockpit. I'm wondering if it makes a difference if you have the flat cross member? The one with the holes for a harness as I don't have one of those!. I know somebody else offered me a bar from an earlier Short Cockpit than mine an I'm wondering if that too has the flat cross member. Can anyone with a Short Cockpit please help? Photos are useful too. Many thanks

Our Kitty!

Hi Burt,

I have a 1999 1600VX with a Fia Roll bar. I can take a pic and send it to you if it helps to compare?

I may have to remove my roll bar to get my fuel tank out. Did you need to compress the rear springs or did you just undue the nuts that hold the bar to the top of the dampers?

Ian

Phil

I have an early Dedion car (1989 long cocckpit) with the suspension protruding through the turrets similar to your's. However this has the flat 'square section cross member.

Also the 'hole' in the base plate at the narrow point (furthest away from the roll bar) appears to line up with a hole in the cross member for seat belt harness !

When I was looking for an FIA bar I was told I needed a Live Axel / Early Dedion type.

From the look of things you appear to have this type of roll bar *confused*

I don't know if the one you have will fit 🤔

On the up side I am still looking if you ever need to 'pass it on' 😳

Richard

Spoken to arch and they seem to think that I need the flat cross member welding in!! Bum! Was hoping to not have to do that......upside would be that I would be able to fit a harness instead of my old seatbelts.... anyone fitted and FIA bar without the flat cross member?

Cheers, Phil.

Our Kitty!

Sorry, I missed this post.

So here goes.......switches to mode *smile*

The Short Cockpit FIA bar is easy to identify as the "hoop" part of the roll bar is vertical.

The std live axle bar "leans" towards the front of the car.

There are a few photos on the bottom of this page of the one fitted to my car.

I had to file the mounting holes to get mine to fit as they were all a little out. Even then it was still a struggle to get it to fit.

As for the harness bar - you can get them from James Whiting. He can fit it or you can get a local welder to fit it (thats what I did). Once you see the bar and the car toghther it will be easy to do.

The bar fits so that the mounting hoes for the outer harness bolts go though the FIA bar's bases.

I can possibly get some photos for you tonight showing how mine fits

Hope this helps

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Incorporating the Caterham Links Database

I can confirm that the main bar is upright, I believe that the std or long cockpit would be a good few inches forward so I assumed the bar to be correct, its just I don't have the cross member. Thankfully the person I bought it from had already offered to take it back if there was a problem. I'll park this project until I get the cash together for the cross member.

Steve did you have to change the boot cover as well? If so where did you get it from? I noticed when I offered the bar up that the current cover would not fit around the base of the main bar as it was in a different place than the original bar.

Cheers *thumbup*

Our Kitty!