Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust wrapping kit

Pleasantville

I got mine from here - the official Cooltek site.

ISTR I went for either 20 or 30 metres (I'll look it up) - I certainly had loads to spare.

The results can be seen in my heat-management page(s) here

It certainly makes a difference, but it wasn't the only heat problem I had (mainly due to a full undertray).

There's plenty of advice in TT - wear rubber gloves (and probably a face mask - and clothes you can immediately wash or discard). Wrap it tightly with at least a 50% overlap. Take your time - and be warned that you might find getting the primaries back in place is tricky - the extra bulk can make your exhaust-hole seem rather too small...

Mine hasn't really discoloured much - I didn't treat it.

I also bought a kit of the special tie-wrap things. Some people recommend using big jubilee clips (you can retighten and reposition them), but unless you go for stainless, they will corrode and seize over time.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 25 Jan 2006 16:59:56

• Leadership Team

I also used CoolTek - 60' of 1" wide, obvioulsy around 15' per primary. This is just enough to reach from the head to the body skin.

As Myles says, go for at least 50% overlap - effectively covering twice as thick as the wrap. Also the 1" wrap is much much much tidier than pipes done with the 2". Mine was also applied wet - it bonds into place and where there has been damage it falls off in small chunks rather than unwrapping. Also easier if you remove the primaries from the car to wrap *thumbup*

Stu.

Got mine from Agriemach. Certainly made a difference with under bonnet temperature. The impact on the pipes beyond the wrap is astonishing in terms of the exrta temperatue which turns freshly polished and shiny to a bronzed hue in about 10 miles. The sppeding up of the exhaust flow is noticeable in engine pick up but i've been told that the heat can also back up into the head so putting more strain on the cooling.

As my head is not yet unleaded a cooking thereof will just provoke me into going leaded sooner or later *thumbup*

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon