Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hood Spring Rub ?

Joespeeder v2.0

Hi All,

I noticed my right front hood spring has rubbed on the ali skin and put somne slight notches in the skin. Is this normal or am I just being a polisher by noticing ?

I have them mounted correctly, spaced away from the body with those thick washers. Should I bend the clip a bit? I guess I'm wondering how common this is...

Joe

TheCaterhamProject.com - Build site with photos here

Joe,

I wondered what the hell the title meant, until I read the rest of it! "Remember" Over here it's a bonnet, and the bit at the back is a boot, not a trunk.

But if you hadn't attempted to destroy the English language, you'd know that, would'nt you 😬

Just kidding *biggrin*

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Ozzy,

Guilty as charged 😬. In this case, I was just posting too quickly and didn't "translate" it in my head before I typed it. Although, I always wonder when posting how much to convert with out sounding like a fool. H***, I'm happy just to be here. Correct me anytime *thumbup*

When building the car the only bit I couldn't figure out due to "translation" troubles was when it called for an "anti slip" washer in the break line assembly. Even a good friend who grew up in London didn't know. After a bunch of staring and one reassemble I found the correct style of "lock washers" they wanted *biggrin*

Since mine is the only car I see for months at a time, I never know if what I'm seeing is unique. Is it common to get little saw tooth marks in the skin from the spring? Or do I need to address this?

Joe

TheCaterhamProject.com - Build site with photos here

I think one of the funniest things I've come across, was last year when I had an American colleague over. We're sat in roadworks, and he turns round and say's to me "whats a queue" Took me ages to try and describe this everyday English word. And then he says "oh you mean wait in line" ....yes. "well why don't it just say that" Um, because we're in England.

Priceless.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried something that seems to work well. I slipped a length of large (7/8" dia.) heat shrink tubing over the assembly. As you shrink it keep it a bit above the spring top so it tightens down and holds in place. It tightens up around the spring just enough to form a clean sleeve but not hinder movement. Operates fine and looks clean.

No problem appears too large if you get far enough away...