Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tumble dryer Elements

EFA

Quickie question as I sit in the utility room bewildered by a malfunctioning product of Robert Bosch.....

Using a Fluke meter, should I see a resistance less than +999 megohms across the heating elements of a tumble dryer. I have voltage at the elemnet terminals and all the safety and thermal trips are closed.

Awaiting expert knowledge.......

Stijn/Dave - my thoughs entirely - expected around 50 ohms, To test my theory I metered out the element in the kettle. Also 999 MOhms. Trouble is I'm drinking a nice hot coffee as I type this.

I'm rather confused!

Logic therefore says that your heater element and kettle are o.k. and that you multimeter is goosed 😬

I've just checked two heating elements (one in spare Tumble drier heater 27.2 ohms per element, other in kettle - which needed to be turned on to check). Kettle was similar in resitance to heating element in tumble drier.

Dave

Nope, The meter is an autoranging Fluke 77 - cost about £300 10+ years ago! Appears to give appropriate readings for all other items (light bulbs etc).

I've now turned the kettle on, and guess what....... 26.2ohms. Guess that makes me a bit of an 🙆🏻.

I've now established that the initial failure of the first heating element in the dryer will likley go unnoticed as all women are pre programmed to use the devices on full power only. Like most things they do, it alos goes unnoticed when they take ages, so shes only been getting 1.5kw for some time instead of the full 3.0kw!

Thanks for all the help!, BTW, part is £79 from Bosch, £14 'buy it now' on ebay! Guess where I'm investing??

Edited by - EFA on 8 Nov 2005 23:23:07