Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres - Again I know..........

Petrolhead

Just come back from Anglesey track day organised by Track Action. Great day out and enjoyed the wet in the afternoon

One of the organisers, cant remember his name, drove my car and commented on the lack of front end turn in/bite. On coming back in, after showing me some spectacular driving skills, he asked how old the slicks I had on were. It transpired that they were well past their best and too hard (I have got them free with a set of SLR rims). I had always felt that the car lacked front end grip

We got talking and he introduced me to Bret Neil and said that they had spent a long time trying to sort his car our, suspension etc, to discover thats he too was needing decent front slicks.

Bret ended up running Avons 7/20 fronts (10999) and 8.2/22 rears (10999) and said they we a vast improvement. He said it was the tryre the R500 racers were using.

So where is the best place to get part worn ones or am I wasting my time and better off bying new

Sorry if this is long winded

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

PH

Good trackday wasn't it??? slithering about on the limit of grip is always a bit of fun.

David in the Sylva got his used 6" Avon slicks from George Polley, they apparently have a fair range in stock from about £15 each, so that might be worth a try.

As you know I run Michelin radial slicks 16/53-13 in a S210 compound (also about £15 each - used). They are about the same size as an Avon 7.0/20.0-13 but the compound is a bit harder. They were ideal in France on Le Sept when track temperatures got up to 65C but over here they run a little cool... Mind you I still had plenty of grip to play with and they have lasted 6 trackdays so far.

One other comment is that I find the car better balanced with the same size tyres front a rear... when I ran 185 front and 205 rears (A048) I found it more prone to understeer which had to be dialed out with a fair dollop of right boot to get the car cornering neutrally.. with the same size all around it is much less effort to drive quickly.

One of the Duratectives

Isn't the problem with race tyres that the rubber goes hard with age (opposite to men).

Does anyone know how long it takes for the type of tyre we use to go off.

I had a set of Yoko's that went hard and I had a big spin over the Snake Pass. Couldn't work out why until someone asked how old the tyres were.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Avon R400 slicks from BMTR (OWETAC) are ideal for trackdays

If your budget runs to new, get new

grip from the tyre is also about the number of heat cycles (with new you know exactly)

Tyre are only part of the problem, you may need to get the suspension set up

Standard suspension settings give understeer (read Caterham safe)

Play with rake, springs, castor and camber and dial understeer out

A10ROX:OK, its an R500 without the magnesium bits sump etc and only 205bhp!

Polley do the fronts 7/20x13 for £20 but only do the 9/20x13 rears and I would prefer going 8.2/22x13 rears.

Two reason for wanting the 8.2, and feel free to shoot me down on this.

Going back to what Ian said re understeer, I recon the 9s were just a tad too wide, wrong balance.

I want to keep the ride height the same when swapping from Cr500s to slicks to wets. When using the 9s I had to raise the rear of the car

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*