Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 to 6 speed

Mark Ferguson

a few questions on this one

Currently have a 97 s/s with engine out & gearbox out. engine going for an upgrade.

1/. i currently have a 5-speed box, can the 6-speed just bolt in where the 5 speeder came out with no mods ???

2/. if so, could i sell my 5 speed for fairly good price & re-coup some minies ???

3/. as it will be mainly for road use with a few track days (hopefully) thrown in is it worth upgrading ???

4/. would it be cheaper / better to go for a ratio change in 5-speeder, if so what ratio's are good for acceleration/overtaking as apposed to top end.

5/. if staying with 5-speed are BGH the best

*confused*

Mark- a few of my thoughts

1) Think so

2)5 speeds not worth much- maybe £200

3)Not in my view ( for the road)

4)A lot cheaper - less than a £1k

5)Don't know

The 5 speed box is cheap as chips and performance is fine ( with the benefit of a 5 th gear for cruising) Even on track the improvement is marginal and for the cost of a 6 speed box there are cheaper ways to get lap times down. We discussed this in the Grads club and one of the other issues was that because there is not a lot of lateral movement when changing 2-3,4-5 it is very easy to get the wrong gear ( which is why many of the race cars have a stiffer spring fitted)

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

The problem with a 6 speeder is 6th is 1:1. As Mike says the over driven 5th gear is veru useful and will give you a little more top end.

Why not have the gearbox rebuilt with the ratios replaced to suit your engine. ie a much taller 1st gear 2nd 3rd & 4th all closed up and a slightly lower 5th gear. About £850 fitted from Brian Hills at BGH in Kent.

Grant

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

Hi Gents,

Mike, Grant, thanks for the info, looks as tho' will stay with the 5 speed then & change internals.

Car is already fitted with a LSD, came when i bought the car.

Norman, acceleration & quick overtaking is what i am after *thumbup*

Rob, going the scholar route with a VVC head ported by Dave with Jenveys on so ???, hopefully towards the 200 ish mark. 😬

Has anyone done something similar with SPC (LF advertiser and *very* close to me)?

I think I'll take the opportunity of the box being out to have it fettled, but a long trip down the M-way with a stinky box in the boot (much lighter than I expected actually - I lifted the box and bellhousing easily) doesn't seem worthwhile if something similar can be done locally...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hmm difficult to answer, with that combination you're never going to have a high top speed so the short gears and low top speed of a 6 speed box will probably mean you get the most out of your engine most of the time. But you'll max out at about 105ish I guess.

I've driven a 1.6supersport with a 7400rpm limit and a 6 speed box and it was good fun as the box kept then engine on the go all the time, but after 900miles across France you did wish for slightly longer gearing 😬

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com