Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best tyres for next 6 months (sorry if its been here before, new boy!)

Lardy

For the foreseable future my only mode of transport will me my 7 *smile*, I drive 60 miles a day for work and will be driving all through the winter *smile*. My two front CR500's need replacing and I want a tyre that will last well and give good grip through winter but still give me a couple of track days next year.(I dont want much I know!)

I bought 2 new Toyo Proxes T1S 194/45 R15 from a friend, will these do the job? Or should I be looking for something else.

Thanks

• Area Representative

The Stunner Scudo is a great tyre for sprinting and road use, but the wear rate is high when used on track days. They also lose grip after only a handful of laps of a circuit - much better cold than warm! not a good trackday tyre.

I've seen a few people using Toyo Proxes - they look OK.

CR500s are almost a 7-specific tyre.

There is a group of tyres that 7s use because their light weight enables them to:

Yoko A032 A021 A048

Avon CR500 ACB10

Most normal tyres are too hard for 7s to be able to generate heat and thus grip.

However, standard Caterham fitments are often from the 'normal' tyres in a manufacturer's range, eg. Avon ZV3, so it's not a case of 'you CAN't use these'.

There is loads of info on this sort of stuff in the Blatchat archive, just use 'Search'.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1400 Supersport