Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Rods

MikeW

Well,

Took a slight knock on the near side when I hit a wet kerb on the flat in 4 th bend just before the bus stop at Spa and bounced down the track after clashing with a mate.....and then went into the barriers with the other side in the 2nd race *eek*

How does the track rod attach to the rack?

Oh and if anyone has a de-dion, top and bottom wide track wishbones, rear radius arm, black wings..great circuit by the way

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

**Assuming it's the same construction as the other racks I've dismantled, there will be some big nuts on the end of the rack tube under the rubber gaitor. Probably be tab washered too. To comptletely remove the rack tube for inspection you will also need to take the pinion gear out (big nut where the steeing coulumn shaft goes into the rack).

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

PhilW has done this as he converted a wide track to narrow track.

You have to remove and replace a locking / locating pin and get the torque right so that the play is eliminated / acceptable. He may have posted about this at the time if you search the archives.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Thanks for the help....unfortunately the damage to the rack was a bit more than I thought so new one needed to go with a growing list which now includes drive shaft, 2 wheels, wing stay, manifold, exhaust as well as everything else ☹️

But hopefully all will be sorted for Pembrey in just over a week and I'll have won the lottery by then ( fingers crossed icon) 😬

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

Mike: Sorry to hear the list of damaged parts is growing. I've got a N/S wing stay (not the lower racing version) you can have, also I've got a couple of 'tatty' wheels (a few knocks, scratches & powder coat peeling). It may be worth putting a full list of the parts you need on the wanted forum.

If the DeDion tube is bent I would buy a new one, I believe the latest ones are stronger, but check with Caterham to confirm.

Also hope the trailer is not too badly damaged, amazingly a friend was also driven into by a Slovakian lorry yesterday in his tintop.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Car down at McMillan Motorsports now and I've given Andy the go ahead to order whats needed as I really don't have much time before Pembrey. It looks like it's going to be a lot more expensive than I first thought despite the fact that the chassis was undamaged. Banging into JP probably stopped the damage being a lot worse in the first race as i'm pretty sure sure I'd have hit the arnco at close to 100 mph.( sorry JP) It was the 2nd crash that was the most expensive as the de-dion at the rear was badly bent and at the front the wishbones and steering rack have been bent plus wing stay etc. Brian James are sorting out some spares for me and are fabricating the rear assembly that I need so hopefully will get that sorted out OK.

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

Know what you mean Mike. The 'lucky' bit was that the wheel was pushed forward bending the front of the wishbone rather than the more common backwards movement where the wheel hits the chassis rail and long front required as a result. I also ended up with both the front and rear wheel arches more or less in one piece *confused*

The trailer parts are required to fix the trailer which got hit by a lorry on the way back from Dover.

2 crashes and a banged up trailer in one day has not been my highlight of this years racing season

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

Edited by - MikeW on 5 Oct 2005 21:52:09

Commiserations, I guess you deserved that bit of "luck"!

While we're on Megas, congrats to Buroz for winning the championship, if he still reads Blatchat (or even if he doesn't). I remember his very first track day ('twas at Cadwell Park not that many years ago) - I don't think I've ever seen anyone more nervous before taking to the track. He was standing there looking white, shaking, and chain-smoking - and that was before the briefing! He seems to have got over it though!

Mike

Mike

Glad your're OK but remind me not to park near you next time you come sprinting, sounds like a dangerous place to be 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Anywhere near me seems to be a dangerous place at the moment Graham-a transit van ran into the back of the tin top today *eek* Good news ( and it's been a bit harder to see the positive side this week 😬) is that I'd forgotten to remove the towbar so damage to car very minimal *thumbup* didn't look pretty though as the van reversed back leaving all of the front vallance attached to my towbar *eek*

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

OK got car back tonight after Mcmillan Motorsports did a cracking job of getting everything sorted *thumbup*

So just need to make a new seat, find a source for some electrical connectors for the trailer ( top marks to Brian James for getting me a new light cluster and fabricating a rear bracket for the trailer in a couple of days, as well as hunting round for the rest of the odds and ends I needed *thumbup* *thumbup*)............and the tricky bit.........sorting out the bill without Kirsy noticing *confused* *confused* *confused*........any good ideas 🤔

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22