Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rivets and Dots

David Lynch

Right then. Hope someone can help 😬

What rivet gun is everybody (successfully) using?

What size/type of rivets to start collecting? (and where to buy)

I didn't build my 7 but I'm sure as hell going to stop it coming apart at the seams 😳 Drivers Floorpan looks like first job *eek* including inside footwell so probably need a good 90° type.

Onto Dot's - Boot ones falling out and hoping to fit a tonneau soon (Never drilled for one despite being ex race chassis??). I'm hoping to fit newer bootcover (without the 🙆🏻 velcro, with extra fasteners) Anybody know whether the rest still align?

Main thing is any do's/dont's/hints. I will be practising on sheet aluminium and my brolly ! *smile*

Ta muchly

David

4,500 miles, 3 Months, 5 days, time to go unlimited mileage *eek*

1.4K SS 😬 Blue with white bits (and stonechips)

• Area Representative

Rivets for inside are black and available from CC spares for about 5p each. Ithink they are are 4mm ones.

Certainly the ones on the outer skins are 4mm but have smaller heads so they can recess properly into the popper base. If you use ordinary 4 mm ones (from Homebase, B&Q etc), you will need to stick them into a drill and file them to reduce the heads - otherwise they will all be fitted to the car and you won't realise your mistake until you come to fit the boot / tonneau cover and the poppers won't seat properly *mad* I wandered round Stoneleigh kitcar show and asked several places for 4mm rivets with the smaller heads and no-one stocked them at all. Back to CC spares again....

HTH

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Area Representative

Also a little trick to consider when fitting the popper bases to the outer skin, if you can place a rivet washer on the inner face to help secure the fixing then do so as it prevents the popper base becoming loose as you use it *thumbup*

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Leadership Team

Having had a number of pop-riveters over the years, I agree with Mav that the Stanley one is probably the best "budget" one around - has a really effective rachet action *thumbup*

B&Q also sell reinforcing washers that work well with the poppers across the boot - it's these that take the most hammer and the ali's not very thick 😳

Stu.