Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series starting problems

old captain slow

Gradually been getting worse over the last 4/5 weeks. After leaving the car for a week without the battery isolation key in place, the car steadfastly refuses to idle. It just dies. Tried all the obvious stuff like resetting the IAV by depressing the accelerator 5 times. Finally it goes after unplugging the various plugs on the MEMs unit and the throttle and the IAV but no specific candidate.

Any views on what this might be? Yesterday I gave up trying and drove off but it was near impossible to drive like that so tried again at the roadside and it "fixed" itself. Once the engine has been run it's ok for the rest of the day. Concerned this may be early signs of a big dying of the engine and will leave me stranded.

C7 CDW

Tried all the obvious stuff like resetting the IAV by depressing the accelerator 5 times

That's: Ignition on (engine not started), depress 5-times, ignition-off, restart... I hope...

How's the starting generally? Any issues getting it to turn over? Have you checked the volts when the engine is running?

One possibility is that the coolant temp sensor is causing problems - it might be reporting the wrong temp in which case the MEMS will be incorrectly compensating the advance/injection () for cold starting. Try unplugging and replugging this sensor and see if that makes a difference.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 11 Jul 2005 12:22:38

On the LHS of the engine, you'll find the water-rail coming out of the back of the head and linking up to the top rad-hose at the front. Just above the rearmost exhaust primaries, you'll find two sensors - the smaller of which is the sender for the coolant gauge, the larger of which is the sensor for the ECU.

It should have one of those spring-clip retaining mechanisms - just pop it off/wiggle/whatever for starters.

There are some pics etc. on my site in the maintenance section - look for the link to the R500 'submarine' or use the search facility.

They aren't renowned for failing, but if there's an earthing/wiring issue...

This is where I deleted one of my suggestions.

I recently had a starting problem - after fitting the Brise and a new Odyssey dry-cell battery. It was after a long, hot blat the day before (everything had worked perfectly - started every time despite incredible underbonnet temps). I got a few clicks on pressing the button - and the starter would throw-forward but not churn over (at all).

We eventually started it by jumping from a big-battery (I'd tried jumping from my tintop without success) - and it ran like a mouldy canine corpse. WOuldn't hold idle, sounded like a bag of nails.

Turned out that it was a loose earth to the battery - so even after jump-starting it wasn't getting enough juice to run properly.

But (and this is a big but...) - it wouldn't start on its own - so the fact that David's will turn over happily and fire suggests to me that the battery is probably fine.

Also - if it had been sounding like a bag of nails, or refused to rev, I'd expect to have heard about it. Worth checking, but there are more likely candidates to address first...

...which reminds me - as a friend sometimes asks - when you find your car keys after mislaying them - why are they always in the last place you looked? *tongue* *wink*