Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator fan upgrade

PAUL MARRIOTT

Erm, even if there aren't (and I've not seen a Radtec, so don't know precisely what sort of design it is) - you could try something like I did for my std. CC ali rad...

Details on my site - search for Pacet in the main page, products section or search-engine.

Basically, I fitted a larger fan by making a metal shroud/skirt.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I thought I'd explained that on the site... Can't/shouldn't access from work, so I can't check *wink*

Anyway - Silver 7 upgraded his fan for his new 1.9 - I bought the same fan (10") on his recommendation. Turned out Silver 7 had also changed to a race-rad (CC 3-core) without telling me ☹️ - the 3-cores don't have the ribbed joins at the top and bottom.

I discussed the alternatives with Steve @ SVC and ordered a fan that *would* fit - unfortunately, these are a lot less efficient (1" smaller blade diameter, but the same size motor - Steve says the 9" is only recommended for 1.2ish litre cars) - fortunately, the smaller fan failed to arrive for that particular w/e - and as I was bored (and wanted the best cooling), I built the skirt/shroud. Twas easy-peasy and works a treat (in partner with a 74 degree waxstat in the coolant circuit).

..I sent the 9" back for a refund.

Yeah it acted like an afterburner boost switch. If I needed an extra bit of urge for overtaking, I just flicked the manual override and you could really feel the kick in the back *wink* *tongue* 😬

My current car has got a 12" jobby which really improves the acceleration and the draught from that is just like standing behind Concorde at take-off. 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 25 May 2005 17:14:29

Yes - with my upgrade...

...the ribs meant the fan wasn't flush with the rad - hence the skirt - so the fan was pushed back by about 10mm.

I had to pack the rad mounts with large washers to get enough clearance - ISTR that this is mentioned on my site.

The 11" Pacet fitted quite neatly between rad and ARB on my car with just a few mm to spare. I do remember, though, having to slightly trim the radial support ring in 4 places to get it to fit close to the fins. The Demon Tweeks catalogue does indicate the depth of each Pacet fan so you can check the measurement before ordering.

All very easy to do though *thumbup* and as Myles suggests, you can pack out the rad mounts with a few washers if required.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 26 May 2005 11:54:02

I should add that the standard fan isn't actuated by a relay (well it wasn't on my car) so with the bigger fan drawing a greater current, it is advisable to modify the wiring to switch via a relay.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Talk to Steve @ SVC.

Be aware that the fans they sell are Clubman-spec - but don't have the reversible-blades (as suggested in DT) and don't come with the temp-probe etc. - you get the fan and the mounting kit (zip-tie thingies, rubber washers etc.)

I suspect this is one of the reasons why there is such a large price differential.

Anyway, the kit, prices and service from SVC are good, so order away.... *thumbup*

It's just that you don't need to specify a sucker or a blower - you can mount the fan in front (or behind) the rad by just flipping the blades over. 99% of the time, this would be an irrelevance, but it was suggested to me that if I wanted to use the 9" fan, I could keep the CC one as a sucker and mount the new one as a blower...

Yeah - just bear in mind that Pacet specify their fans by blade-size - not overall shroud-size...

Measure the max height of the core (finned bit) and speak to Steve @ SVC - you might be able to go up an inch or so - the tips of the blades will probably overlap the reservoirs at the top and bottom of the rad, but you'll gain throughout the rest of the revolution IYSWIM...

...i.e. most rad cores are wider than they are tall - the tips of the blades will do nothing useful at the top and bottom (assuming an oversize fan) - but will sweep more area everywhere else.

Mine is a tight fit at 12" 😳 😬 but just about goes on the back of the Raceline ali radiator although I will say that as I have a Freestyle pushrod front suspension, there is no ARB to get in the way. I guess this is why CC put the R500 one on the front of the rad.

It has a fearsome draught though. *thumbup* *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

• 3 weeks later...

I've been gently digging away at this issue and it seems that the largest fan that can be fitted to the Radtec Rad is a 10", subject to ARB clearance, that shouldn't be a major problem, barring a Myles type mod. The only problem with the 10" fans are that their performance is not significantly any better than the 9" unit.

Pacet have a VG website but don't talk to the pompous wally who tells you he is the Tech help, told me that they had fitted a 13", 14" and EVEN a 16" fan to a Caterham and that yes the 11" will fit as you can cut some of the edging off!!!!!!!!!!! SVC later told me that that is NOT possible.

Talk to Paul at Radtec *thumbup* or SVC who are helpfull, informed and willing to discuss *thumbup* *thumbup*

Any way I've decided to go for a 10" pusher unit from Pacet, via SVC, and control it by the ECU, and leave the 9" fan in situe controlled by the rad thermostat, that way I get two stage control from independant sources and a manual back up as I've wired the ECU control in parallel with switch.

Paul M.

The only problem with the 10" fans are that their performance is not significantly any better than the 9" unit.

That's not what Steve told me... Don't forget that the motor-size doesn't change (significantly, if at all) between blade sizes (so the smaller fans are almost 'all' motor...)- and also that the widest and fastest bit of the blade is on the outside (the blade-width increases along the length of the blade) - so adding an extra inch to the smaller fans will increase efficiency significantly.

Hi Myles

I'm not sure about the Caterham standard 9" but if you compare the pacet 9" to 10" you get a CFM change of 858 to 902, a 5% increase, not a huge amount. There may be a benefit as the flow will be over a greater CSA and the over all temp gradient will change a bit but I didn't think that the overall gain would be worth the work to adapt, especially when to fit a pusher unit would be easy and cheap for me.

See the Pacet website is http://www.pacet.co.uk/clubfms.htm which give good detail of the fan performances for comparison I also looked at the SPAL fans but the story is very much the same.

There is a Profan option in the Pacet range which ups the flow to 1098 or 30% but with a depth of 89mm against my clearance of 67mm I decided not to go that route.

Paul M