Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pressure, Fireblade

blade_runner

I was wondering what fuel pressure other fireblade owners use? *confused* The only Data I can find is from a Haynes manual, which does not give a pressure but a flow rate, the standard set up in a bike has no fuel pressure regualtor, just a low pressure pump. According to the manual it says the pump should deliver at least 900cc of fuel per minute.

Now heres a Question for the mathematicly minded.

What pressure should I set my fuel pressure regulator to?

The carbs require 900cc /min

the fuel pump is a Facet SS503 25 gallons /hour at a pressure of 6 to 7 Psi

25 galls/hr is roughly 113.5 litres an hour, which would be 1.89 litres a min, but i presume thats with the pump running at 6 to 7 Psi, so can anyone work out what pressure I should knock it down to ? to get to 900cc/min

from what I remember I'm running about 1.5Psi and on the odd occasion when looking down the carbs when its running I see fuel slowly bubbling from the Emulsion tubes as if the float chambers are flooding, or is it a case of TADTS? the float level seems fine when I checked it, so is the fuel pressure over comming the float valve? Can anyone shed some light?

Steve

'Pinky Pics' here

For Keihins supplied by fuel pump a max of 3psi is suggested on the regulator. However more critical is the size of the float valve and they give a table.

Float valve size (mm) HP per carb gravity feed HP per carb 3psi pump feed

2.0 20-28 29-37

2.4 24-34 37-50

2.8 33-41 Not recommended

3.2 39-50 Not recommended

Sorry this is a bit of a back to front way of looking at it.

I'm running my fuel regulator at 2psi from a big hairy a*sed Facet pump and don't seem to be overcoming the float valves.

Maybe you need to look at the size of your float valves?

I didnt think about the size of the floats, just assumed they were standard, will have to pull the carbs off and take a look, the engine runs well its just sometimes at idle as i have said I've seen fuel bubble up the emulsion tube, doesnt do it all the time. but I thought I better look at it as i'm off the Switzerland next month and I'm currently getting around 25 mpg, anything I could do to improve this would help! *wink*

Edited to say; i'm running the standard Keihins, but with a dynojet kit using 128 mains and the standard 40s idle jets set to 3 turns out. with the Air correctors blocked off.

Edited by - blade_runner on 21 May 2005 06:42:40