Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bullet cam/video cam interface?

Tony C

My Panasonic has a four wire FIREWIRE socket and no other visible input sockets - just output.

I've - ahem - 'adjusted' the camera software to allow recording through this socket.

Any of you experts know if a means exists of converting the bullet cam output to a FIREWIRE (iLINK) input 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

So - the bullet cam output is analogue?

I see what you mean by the price of the convertors and the need for an external power supply - I guess my video camera is not suitable for use with a bullet cam - bum!

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Yes, bullet cams are analogue.

If I buy a bullet cam (so far I've only borrowed one) I'm going to investigate buying a second hand Sony Digital8 camcorder, because I think they can be obtained fairly cheaply and most either have analogue inputs or they can be 'tweaked' using a widget from here. Some cant be enabled at all though, so careful choosing is necessary. The reason for doing this is to remove the risk of damaging my very expensive Sony DV camcorder

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

or record direct to the hard disk of a PVR. I just started using an Archos AV400- available with disk between 20gb and 100 gb at corresponding prices. here

The smaller capacity ones much cheaper than a camcorder. Has the advantage that you can mount the device on the dashboard with velcro and a safety strap, and actually see what you are recording, and you can play back to a decent quality at the track, to review lines etc. The 100gb one takes 400 hours of continuous video- should cover a few track days! Also plays MP3/WMA, so you can plug into intercom or use headphones to provide an effective ICE solution.

If you can wait they are bringing out an AV700 with a seven inch screen and a 100gb+ hard drive- comes out in July I think.

Pug Graphite and Bare Carbon R400

Edited by - Ken Y on 22 May 2005 14:28:44

Whats the image quality like ?

In theory its not as good as DV becauseaccording to the tech specs it records mpeg4 at 512x384 pixels, as opposed to DV which is 720x576 with lower compression (and therefore higher image quality for any given resolution)

In practice you may not be able to tell the difference unless you look really closely at it.

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk