Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow sealed cooling system conversion.

Gavin

Working from previous postings and the link to the French owners site here untranslated!

Is there any reason why I can't use my existing thermostat housing ( the one with the filler/rad cap ) and simply take the small hose ( currently immersed in the coolant/overflow bottle ) and plug it into the new expansion tank 🤔

Gavin.

prisonR 43 C12 KAR

Edited by - Gavin on 17 May 2005 10:15:54

I’d be interested to know the answer to this as well.

Also talking to James Whiting, he suggested that if the heater had been removed it was a good idea to join the heater connections together with a piece of hose – the one on the inlet manifold and the other on the water pump. This prevented localised heat build up in the centre of the cylinder head.

Anyone done this ?

If so, could you install a ‘Y’ piece on top of the water pump, with one end going to the manifold and the other to the expansion tank ??

Personally I wouldn't. I would rather have the pressure blow off at the water highpoint which on mine is now at the top of the header tank.

Someone may well have done it the same way as you propose though.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 17 May 2005 17:37:04

I think the correct way to do it is to use a submarine tube between the w.pump and the rad bottom hose, the t off from which is about a 3/4 " hose which is the main feed up to the expansion tank, which should be mounted as high as poss under the bonnet.

The thermostat housing is replaced with a fan switch/thermostat only housing ( only cheap) with the small bore hose going up to the tank.

All real easy to do and prob less than 50 quid to do it properly *thumbup*

Whole system can then run pressurised, bled easily, plenty of liquid going through head, and most importantly, when it gets hot, the water goes to the tank and flows backwhen it cools, rather than sucking air to the head and overheating.

Why take the chance 😬

I think there are two types of radiator caps available, one which allows coolant to escape and not be replaced, and the other which has a two way valve on the sprung inner part, allowing coolant to return to the system from the overflow bottle, all this may be balls, but it might be worth checking, I certainly changed mine when converting to a sealed system.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you ALL for the replies *thumbup*. I bought the replacement thermo.housing as shown in the conversion photo's. It was only a tenner from my local Ford dealer. Everything is back together now and working well *thumbup*.

Gavin

prisonR 43 C12 KAR