Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much oil??

Neil Felstead

Funny you should say that ,as i had the same discussion with my mechanic mike stewart yesterday _im no techie but this is waht he said -

Mike said he was suprised tha the sump was so small and and said that normally he would recommend a bigger sump -but due to the already small ground clearance [about 5cm ] then he said leave it ,but put in an oil coiler ,which will increase capacity and obviously cool things down a wee bit as well

Also im having an accsump put in ,although thats not really realted to oil capacity per se -but its rather cramped in there and i reckon hell a job squeeazing it all in .Having said that i have spoken to other VXE owners who have never had problem with surges ,although you will get widely differing opinions on BC on this from people who know much more than me .For what its worth jez coates from CC [tech director ] said he didnt think oil surging would ever be problem unless you were doing v fast long turns on slicks .

One other thing ,mike insisted on changing my old silkolene 10/40 to 20/50 4 stroke oil ,which has dramatically increased oil pressure to 4 bar at idle -so thats a good thing

Finally ive had much spill over into catch tank when filling sump to max ,and there is a cam cover mod ,which again is well described on BCD

Simply go to search and put VXE in and itll all come up .Im having that mod now myself to cure this problem

Regards,Brian

Field Motorsport VXE HPC

247 bhp

Blatting around Angus and Perthshire with a permanent grin [even bigger than before ]

Nick,

Dipstick needs re-marking 1 cm higher

Doclip,

Even Jez sometimes doesn't get it right - oil surge is a problem with the standard Caterham sponge baffle 😳 on track. If you don't believe me get someone to watch the oil pressure gauge as you're cornering..you'll soon be convinced.

IMHO the SBD cam cover mod. works to a certain degree, but don't expect it to completely solve oil ejection.

An oil cooler isn't required (for cooling oil *confused*) on a Caterham XE unless it's solely for track use. If you fit an oil temperature sender in the sump plug you'll see it takes ages to get the oil temp. up to water temp - 80 degs, and unless you're thrashing the nuts off it, the temp. won't go much higher. If you are then you'll see the occasional blip up to 110-120 on track, but this is not a problem with good oil if it's not continuous duty.

I think Oilman may comment on your choice of 'thick' oil *wink*

Paul

Paul

As i said paul im no techie ,but have just spoke to mike stewart performance engineering [he preapres rally and hill climb cars and is well known as the local guru on BDA and VX blocks ] to ask if mocal oil cooler is absolutely necessary [as hes about to order one up as we speak ] and hes very adamant that this is what's needed [given the amount of heat my particular engine is producing ] for both temp and capacity reasons .I realise that dry sumping is what's really needed here but i dont have that sort of money right now ,so its a compromise at the end of the say .Whether well be able to shoe horn it in front of radaitor is another matter altogther .

Field Motorsport VXE HPC

247 bhp

Blatting around Angus and Perthshire with a permanent grin [even bigger than before ]