Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sealing an oil leak

paul richards

• Area Representative

I have fitted an oil pressure switch to my ‘K’. The problem is, it means I now have a lot more places for potential leaks. I’ve managed to seal them all except for one.

There are a number of holes in the replacement oil filter housing which are blanked with small untapered grub screws. I'm getting a steady drip of oil from one of them and struggling to seal it. Clearly it would be better to drain the oil and take off the filter housing to do it, but bearing in mind this might cause more leaks, I'd prefer not to do so.

What are my options?

Try to seal with Red Hermetite?

Try PTFE tape?

Try steelweld(or whatever it's called) - the stuff thats 2 parts and sets solid when mixed.

Any other suggestions?

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

I would venture that if it is actually leaking oil at this point, there's sod-all that will stick/fit/whatever.

Half-arsed solutions just generate more headaches further down the line...

I can't see why you would cause more leaks by taking the housing off entirely - go on, do it properly.... *thumbup*

If you do take it off, you can either ptfe/hylomar the grub-screws or metal-weld them at leisure and with full access etc. etc. etc. etc. >

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Area Representative

Thanks for your suggestions.

It was a pig to get the oil filter housing on, with limited access and having to disconnect the Apollo sandwich etc. I'm sure if I take it off I'll break a number of seals that are OK at present and they'll probably leak instaed knowing the sort of luck I'm having.

I have a little time before I really need to use the car (Le Mans mainly), so I think I'll drain the oil and try the PTFE tape first on a dry thread. At least this particular leaky grub screw is fairly easy to access.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional