Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Foam seats and MOT

GregP

It's technically a fail. However if you have a word you could point out that with your **se parked on it and a harness done up tight nobody is going anywhere, he's likely to ignore it. It might help to stick it down with a bit of the strongest gaffer tape you can find so his casual tug on testing for security doesn't dislodge it. *wink*

my MOT man ( who has very poor eyesight, is very open minded and is of a nervous disposition - he simply refused to come out and do the brake test with me 😬) said that a foam seat is OK if you have a full harness *smile*

I didnt point out to him that technically a full harness is not legal on the road 😬

I think this one depends on the test centre , but yes they are technically a failier ☹️

Tell them it's not a seat it's padding. The seat is the floor and back panel and the foam is just padding to help you fit.

The padding on a tin top seat is not secure, it's only the metal frame of the seat that is bolted to the floor. If that is OK then so is a "foam seat" would be my argument. But I've been thro at least 5 MOT's with a foam seat without any problem so you're probably worrying unduly.

Thanks for all the responses Guys *thumbup*

Dropped the car off this morning, the first thing the tester did was waggle the seat around and pronounced it 'fine' 😬

Will update later when the results are in.....