Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC solid cam question

timbo

For those who have done this:

Just as a matter of interest, when you fit the VVC mech blanking plate how did you seal the plate in terms of the poisiton of the sealant. Did you run a bead of sealant to stop the oil flow between the 2 oil feeds. Or did you run the sealant right round the outer edges of the plate only?

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

No it wasn't leaking.

I was just on a train of thought. On the VVC with the VVC mech installed the oil is supplied via the pump at "5 bar" to the inlet side of the VVC control mech. The oil pressure drives the VVC mech. The "splash" hole must be the oil relief exit.

My thoughts were that if you completely prevent oil flow by blanking off the oil supply hole what effect does this have on the oil pressure?

Essentially the blanking plate is a flat plate that essentially prevents any oil flow to the relief hole on the right.

It just for my own knowledge.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

My thoughts were that if you completely prevent oil flow by blanking off the oil supply hole what effect does this have on the oil pressure?

Funny way to phrase it... If you had oil flowing freely through the space left by a removed VVC mechanism, you would have the square root of bu&&er all oil pressure.

timbo,

When the blanking kit was installed on mine I did get an oil leak, I tried removing and adding different gasket sealants (higher temp) but they all ending up leaking. In the end it was solved while at Emerald, Dave turned a tapered "plug" up on the lathe which was then inserted in the hole and then the blanking kit re-installed with some of the sealant he had there. I’ve had no problems since, after numerous trackdays.

Tron.

You get my drift Peter 😬. But assuming the right hand hole is a relief oil drain for the VVC mech could sealing (or to be more precise STOPPING) the oil flow effect higher oil pressure? (I'm digging deep for technical reasoning on this one)

I have had no problems with leaks. I used silicon. Let is set for 15 mins to cure before jointing the surfaces. No problems at all with leaks.