Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Valve stem movement in guide

DW

In my experience wear accelerates, and you will soon have a lot more sideways movement. If the valve isn't constrained to move properly by the guide then the seat sealing will suffer eventually. I would keep an eye on it, and plan on getting the guides changed when you next strip the head.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,300 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

It's both the inlet and outlet on cylinder 2. Do you mean the valves or the guides Oliver? Is it more likely to be the valve stems themselves or the guides? I'm finding that I've burrs on the top of the stems where the collets go which stops the valves being pulled out - is this usual? It looks like I need a bit of wet and dry or a file on the burr to then be able to pull the valves out....

You need to measure the stems to see if they are worn but usually its the guides 'cos they are made from softer stuff. Cheese for example.

It's not unusual to have slight burs on the tops of valves. Wet & dry or similar will sort them.

Its not much of a job to change guides (or scouts) as long as you have a good press and the right reamer to finish with.

its only a game.........

http://daftlardycars.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=owelly

The burrs on the valves are quite common. I suggest filing them off (or using wet and dry), although if you replacing the guides anyway you could try pressing them through. As you will have to remove the burrs before refitting, I wouldn't risk it.

To press the guides out you will need a suitable drift and a large vice. I would suggest bronze guides (available from Burtons and the like), as I think most of the others are rubbish.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,300 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

Guys, the valve guides on a Crossflow are simply a drilling through the head casting - there is no separate guide to push out.

The only way they'll be separate items that you can press out will be if they've previously been worked on by a machine shop. An easier way to repair them is to have K-liners fitted. These are bronze sleeves that fit inside the original guide after it has been machined to a larger ID. Naturally, this has to be done by a suitably equipped machine shop.

Most Caterham supplied Supersprints really need bronze guides rather than the std cast iron, so the K-liner can be a reasonably cost effective way of achieving this. I'd recommend that they are all done at the same time.

Oh dear, not as easy as hoped then. In your shoes I might be inclined to reassemble it and monitor compressions and oil usage, especially if the bottom end is of unknown or somewhat worn condition, but it won't heal up. OTOH if the bottom end is in superb order (decent pistons, rings good etc) then I'd fix the head properly as suggested by Roger.

I do indeed have brass K-liners fitted at time of supply of engine by Vulcan. I've spoken to Steve at Vulcan - he said that he was surprised I was getting stem movement and explained that there was a small tolerance - he suggested that bit of oil down the stem would highlight whether or not there was a problem. Hey presto - with oil down the stem there's no movement, so tolerance therefore OK *cool*. Just the piston rings to replace now.