Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed

Wight Skipper

The AutoCar roadtest in 1988 of a 1700 SS xflow said that AutoCar normally test convertables with hood-up as this is faster (less air distrubance over the roof than an open cockpit), with the Caterham they measured a 1mph difference 111mph hood up, 110mph hood down. Essentially the aerodynamics are so bad it makes no difference either way.

At, or near, Vmax (private road of course *wink*) in mine with the hood up one day, and the popper holding the roof by my shoulder let go with a real bang. Luckily the roof stayed on so I could slow down and fix it. A friend had an MGF development car one day, and the roof failed at high speed - very scary *eek*

Acceleration in the higher gears seems much stronger with the hood up - less turbulence I guess.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 5000 miles completed!

The hood does come off at over 100MPH ☹️ Not good if your in a rush to catch a ferry and it's raining

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

The reason they come off in the rain when you are in a hurry is that is when you have them up and are driving fast. It's not sod's law it's logical. They don't tend to fall off on sunny days when you're pottering around at 50mph 'cos they are in the boot (or what passes for a boot anyway) 😬.

My wife was asleep in the passenger seat
Asleep? In a 7 in a hurry?! That's some achievement. *smile*

I was motoring up the M5 this morning on my way to Millwood's, when the half tonneau came unpopped at the back and all but blew out of the car. Tricky. And then it started to rain....

JV