Click here if you are having website access problems ×

can't decide which upgrade HELP

wild bill

Currently have 1800 supersport and thinking of increasing power as Tax man has been kinder than i had thought

Have looked at DVA and could go K03 K04 or K05 the questions are twofold

Will the extra £1k for the K05 as oppsed to K04 really be noticeable and will the engine keep it's reliability as i do not want to be rebuilding engines . Perhaps K03 and then add later?

Over to the cognescenti

Firstly you cant do better than DVA. *thumbup*

I approached this from the standpoint of

* work that could be done without the engine being stripped (head off) and

* work that would necessitate the engine being stripped.

I did not want to strip the engine down twice.

I went down the former and had Dave do the K04 conversion. Regrettably and unbeknown to me I had piston damage which necessitated a full engine strip within 60 miles of the work being done. (I must stress that it had nothing to with Dave or the work that he did)

The plan was to move to K05 next year. Dave will tell you that the bottom end on the K is suspect once you go beyond 170 bhp although some get away with a standard set up. Reliability at these power levels should not be a problem.

I think that you need to ask yourself why you are doing this and what you want the car to do?

After that its make your choice and pay your money.

Grant

Black and stone chip.

Engine now running (thanks Oily!) Got the first 100 miles under my belt *smile*

here

Thanks old but not slow, think next chat will be with Dave to take his advice go from there. I want to end up with a crackingly fast seven for road and the odd track use but not at the expense of reliability (which i think is where R500 territory seems to be judging by others comments. K05 looks to be the way forward but i'll have a chat with dave and see what his comments are

Cheers

... it doesn't get better than DVA!

Having got that out of the way, the best use of DVA's skills it to get him to flow your head. Such an exercise means that you will need an Emerald (or similar re-programmable ECU) but thereafter the world becomes your oyster.

... AND DON'T FORGET, LIFTING YOUR HEAD IS NOT BRAIN SURGERY!

Simple bolt on extras will not replace that basic act of tuning, which is the efficient filling of cylinders.

How far tuned you want your engine is personal choice but I would suggest the minimum way forward would be a DVA'd head with Paul Ivey valves, more exciting cams (even if you stay with hydraulic followers), throttle bodies and a reprogram able ECU.

This will give you a base from which to move on from, without wasting (other than the cams if you want hotter) any of your initial investment. Start with a targeted power band for and then ask Dave...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I have 207bhp from a 1800cc K that Dave built, the main thing was power with reliability (sp?) I have VVC ported head, the bp285h cams with hydraulic followers, Scholar evo2 block std 1800 crank, forged pistons, throttle bodies Emerald ecu...... WOW talk about power upgrade, what ever you do you will not be disapointed *wink* 😬 *thumbup*

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

now know as:Superlight DVA 207

Edited by - Martin Whitcher on 19 Apr 2005 13:18:11