Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Parting in back of head

Rob

Has anyone has any experience of wind deflectors for a Caterham - by "wind deflectors" I mean the mesh frames that go behind the driver & passenger to prevent you getting a parting in the back of your head, not the perspex side deflectors.

If so, do they work? Can you buy them? If not has anyone tried to make one?

Thanks

Rob

I believe they have been tried before but due to the aerodynamics of the 7, they are quite useless.

On my old car, I used a 'Whimp' on the passenger side to stop SWMBO from moaning about the buffeting and they work extremely well. She still moans, but about other things now 😬

As they don't fit the SV, I might have a pair for sale if you are interested.

Imagine the hood fitted but wih a section the width of the windscreen removed from the screen right back to the boot cover and that is what they look like. Very quick to fit and effective. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final week of gestation. SVA booked. 😬

Thanks Brent. Yes, I do vaguely remember seeing those in a mag once. Sounds promising. The main use would be for long distance hauls on motorways in UK and France.

How much would you want if you were going to sell? Any pics?

Taken from Dennis Ortenburger's fine book "The Legend of The Lotus Seven"

Open air touring was what Seven motoring was all about, but wind buffeting was considerable at anything over 35 miles an hour. Frank Costin, the aerodynamicist responsible for the body shapes of the Marks 8 through 11, once borrowed athe Earls Court car and was annoyed to find his hair blowing in his eyes, while his necktie waved at his nose. He immediately set about limiting turbulence in the cockpit.

Fiddling with the windscreen rake gave some improvement, but the real solution lay in an aerodynamic aid. Costin designed a kind of sectional Townend Ring (the cowling around radial piston aircraft engines) which he attached to the sides and the top of the windscreen. Once the air foils were adjusted, he could drive at any speed and his hair and tie would blow perfectly rearward. Chapman, evidently, believed if you drove a Seven you ought to look like you'd been driving one (either that or wear a cap and a tie clip). He discarded both the idea and the device.

I don't have any pics of them fitted to the 7 but will try and take a pic of them on the floor. I haven't really thought about a price as, to be honest, I had forgotten I had them so will give it some thought and let you know.

I used them on a trip to France last year just before seling my old 7 and they are really effective at reducing the buffeting to virtually nothing on a long motorway journey.

Let me know a mail address to send the pics.

Brent

2.3 DURA

Brent,

My e-mail is robert_ivory@hotmail.com. Actually I did track down a pic on the web so no matter, but you can send any other info to the above address.

I don't have an FIA roll bar - do you reckon it will still fit? The info in the web seemed to imply that they were made specifically for FIA roll bars??

Cheers

Rob