Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rainex

John E

Has anyone got any experience of using this product. I have a bottle but the instructions are in German. Tried putting some on the windscreen but ended up with a sort of filmy surface that frankly would have been worse than trying to look through a wet screen.

Hi John, long time no hear!

I've used Rainex before although not recently. Iseem to recall that you need to apply to a clean screen in the first instance and then put on like a polish in small circular motions. I think it was necessary to leave to dry and then apply again.

Seemed quite effective but my bottle ran out and I never replaced it.......

How's tricks?

Andrew

Apply it with circular movements, the solvent in it will clean the window by doing so. The residue left you then need to polish up with something like a dry cloth or some tissue. Do this until everything is gone.

Rainex is very good, even excellent, on a tintop where the window's curvature allows the raindrops to pearl and fly off. On a Seven the flat windscreen kind of spoils the fun ... but it still is better then nothing.

Try in on your tintop ... when applied well you can forget swithing on the wipers!

Thanks guys. doing a track day tomorrow and i'm just trying to think ahead.

Andrew

Been a bag of s..t here at work. the place is closing at the end of the first quarter next year and so yours truly will be seeing gainfull employment elsewhere. not a major issue for me yet but its certainly taken up some of my thinking time.

I'll probably get shouted here but here goes..................As a Mer polish user, I was told that you can do your windscreen as well, which I thought was a bit of a no no. Did it and the rain flies off it, quite impressed.

Kenny HPC

I'd clean the screen first with a window cleaner

Apply with clean cloth, it says in small circular motions though I think this is because it evaporates faster than a good bottle of wine during dinner so you can't cover a large area in one go.

It says leave to dry and re-apply but I think you'd have to be pretty rapid to start again before it dried, just start again.

After the second application has dried polish off with a dry cloth or paper towel.

I use it on my aeroscreens where there are no wipers and can't be reached with a cloth when driving.

It IS very good, does exactly what it says on the tin style of thing.

I frequently see nothing on the screen until the rain is seriously belting down (it hurts so I know it's raining) Previously light rain made the screens go opaque.

I also put it on the kiddie wagon where it makes visibility better inbetween wipes and stops bugs adhering as hard during summer.

DO NOT put it on the inside of the window because it mists up like a son of bitch, they do a separate product for the inside of the screen.

I also use it on the visor of my lid even though it specifically says do not use on plastic so you you must test first to make sure it doesn't melt it [:E)

Cheers, Simon.

Kenny,

My bottle of Mer says its good for glass, but not windscreen. Is it the standard stuff in a blue container you're using (maybe there is only one kind)?

If it is I'll give it a go tonight.

Sparkey

(I know I should have better things to do on a Friday night, but polishing my windscreens all I've got to do - sad B******d I am)

Its on Anglesey. there are a few 7's going plus a variety of other machines. if the weather holds out then it will be an excellent day.

Thanks for the concern. I'm sure that it will all turn out ok. next week I'll be telling 70 people that their jobs will be going. not looking forward to that one

Have fun! I wish I could join you.........

Spending the day at York Races, watching the four legged, single horse power critters.......I know where I'd rather be, but we're entertaining some visitors.........

Enjoy yourself.Sounds like you could do with a distraction for a few hours.

Andrew

Edited by - andrew russell on 12 Oct 2001 16:09:51

I tried Rainx. If you keep applying regularly it does work.

As soon as it 'wears' off you get a patchy smear that is terrible to see through.

The only way to rid yourself of it is to T-Cut the glass and polish the screen up.

I have not used it again since....

BTW, I recently bought second-hand Citroen ZX and it had Rainx on all the glass and guess what...to rid myself of it I have T-cut the screen.

I will not be using this product again....

Clean glass and good wipers are all you need.

It does say do not apply to plastics on the bottle but I know some do use it on their visors with success.

It's basically more trouble than it's worth, just turn on those cute little wipers. Have used it on the tin top and as suggested earlier in the post the results usually end up as a smear that is b****y awful to remove. The additive to the washers is also ineffective.