Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k-series emissions SVA fail - Updated

LancasterBob

Had my SVA test this morning down at Taunton; and apart from emissions and speedo eratics things went very well. The exhaust gas analyser gave some pretty astounding results (engine is a Caterham-sourced EU2 1.4K supersport):

Hydro Carbons ppm : 3368 (1200 acceptable limit)

Carbon monoxide: 10% (3.5% acceptable limit)

Seems to me like somethings is seriously wrong; we seem so wide of the mark that it's too far to be sorted by making adjustments? Anyone had anything similar, or got any suggestions about where to start looking?

Can thoroughly recommend Taunton centre, tester was fair and after a loooong weekend finishing the car it could have been far harder on the nerves!

Cheers,

Rob

Fishy 1400 Supersport, 95% complete and waiting for spring and SVA

Edited by - lancasterbob on 23 Mar 2005 06:29:16

Faulty coolant temp sensor or wiring (or not connected!)? Not the one that drives the gauge, the one that talks to the ECU. If the ECU thinks the engine is cold then it'll run very rich. Not sure how you prove it - I wonder if a Rover dealer can plug their diagnostic tool in and tell you what the ECU thinks the coolant temperature is?

Mike

Cheers for the replies guys; we built our own harness so the first thing to check is its all connected up correctly! I can then measure the water temp sensor hot and cold and compare to spec. Whilst doing this I'm going to check the breathers around the inlet and rocker cover, could be bleeding oily mist into the inlet?

Feeling a bit more positive about getting re-tested in time for summer now!

Cheers,

Rob

Further to the above, has anybody got the resistance figures for the ECU water temp sensor (brown bodied) in the water rail? Hopefully I will be able to check it this weekend coming if i have figures to check it against.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Just a thought. Do you know the date of manufacture of the engine and was the test done against figures forthat date?

Just thinking that it may make it easier to get throught the test. I did this with my 1.8 EU2 engine. Manufactured in 1997 but SVA'd in 2004. Now at MOT needs only visible smoke test but can't recall what the test limits used at SVA were.

Steve.

5degC = 5500ohm

10 = 4000

15 = 3300

20 = 2500

25 = 2000

30 = 1700

40 = 1200

50 = 1000

60 = 800

70 = 600

80 = 400

82 = 325

85+ = 250

82 is normal operating temp at which it will stop compensating. A good test is to unplug while the engine is running when hot. If the engine note changes, all is normally ok, suggesting its switched to a backup value (which I believe is 60degC ish)

You can frig it though by sticking a 220ohn resistor in the circuit to simulate the full temp output from the CTS.......

Thanks for the replies guys, having checked the sender it appears to be working ok, so thats one less thing to suspect. Next move is to check its wired up correctly, then start looking at breathers / knackered rings etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers,

Rob

PS: David, if your engine is of caterham origin then they should be able to tell you the age from the (caterham stamped) engine number.