Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Question

Alex Gurr

Guys, I took my 7 out for the first time in over a month at the weekend and the steering felt rather strange. For info I have a quick rack and a quick release hub for the wheel.

The problem (if it is one) seems to be that there is a certain degree of slack when the car is stationary and the steering turned. It is only a few mm either side of the straight ahead, but it feels unusual. I might be mistaken, but I am sure it never felt like that before, I always thought that the steering was drum tight and now I am worried that there might be something slightly amis.

Does anyone else have this slight slack before the weighting comes in?

1.6K Superlight no 38 😬 5,000 miles in 4 Months

As humans we 'Adapt' rather easily. So it's possible that you may have adapted to a slight looseness in the steering gear, and your absence caused some forgetfulness.

Suspect either someting fell off during the layover, or there is indeed some wear, either in the centre tooth of the rack , typical of a hi ratio rack (often eliminated by a V carefull tensioner adjustment) or perhaps your removable Wheel has loose fittings, or a column bush is loose/worn., your ties rod ends (all 4!) need inspection/attention

Lotsa Possibilities.. good for at least a Day's entertainment.