Click here if you are having website access problems ×

willins harness installation

tiddy1

Just recieved my nice new harnesses and was about to fit them but the holes in the mounting plates are smaller than on the current harnesses. This means that the current set up wit a spacer and wavey washers to let the end plates swivel can not be used.

does that mean that the anchor plates of the new harnesses are supposed to be bolted down tight so they do not swivel? or am I missing something obvious

Simon

mine fitted last night. fitted ok but the shoulder strap mounting points aren't an equal distance around the headrest.(the outer mounting point is slightly behind the headrest). but this obviously has nothing to do with the harnesses themselves and doesn't really affect it. i bolted mine down tight. superb. certainly better than the inertia belts!!!

Going to fit mine this weekend. When I picked them up from Luke Beaumont, he mentioned that the bolt holes are not big enough to use a top hat to allow swivelling. I'm certainly not going to risk drilling a larger hole so will just bolt down tightly too.

Bryn - I have the same seats as you and may well have the same problem...however when I popped to Hyperion to get some bolts they showed me that there are two outer drilled holes (spaced about 3cm apart IIRC) in the back rail. Looks like the furthest one might clear the headrest better. I haven't looked at mine yet to see if they are already covered or used for something. That said you may have probs with getting a bolt on one side due to the diagonal strut if you have an FIA bar.

Sure someone will be along to put things straight about the additional hole if I have got it wrong!

Cheers

Dave

I called Willans about this, and after a bit of confusion about top hats, I got the explanation. Willans don't use the swivel mechanism employed by the LUKE/Caterham harnesses, the tang has just a 7/16" hole and you bolt the strap down hard. Personally I think I prefer the swivel, since the Willans way requires a bit of trial and error to get the angle right before you torque it up, but in use I doubt you'd notice any difference. Certainly with Tillets the harness slots mean the harness can't really swivel anyway.

Another thing Bryn - did you leave the interia's in the car? I'm considering leaving them in the car...just in case...though of what I don't know. Just not sure if I can be hassled with drilling out the panels etc to remove it all.

If you did leave your interia's in, was there enough room on the bottom bolts for the harness end plates?

Cheers

Dave

chaars again to luke.

dave. i did leave the inertia belts in situ, as i think that the passenger ballast will prefer these to the harnesses. as the willans mounting plate is only a few mm thick there was plenty of thread on the bolts to allow both the harness and inertia belts. i have yet to figure out how to mount my crotch straps. are they supposed to cross over each other?

bryn

Thanks Bryn.

Sorry I can't help with your crotch straps as I went for the 4-points. (I ubelieve they mount on the floor near the back of the seats but don't know the ins and outs.) Is there nothing in the Willans instructions?

Cheers

Dave