Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Speedo on TVR Chim

Mr.B

Chap next door is having trouble posting on PistonHeads so I said I would ask here. I must add both of us are mechanical numpties and have been scratching our heads over this one for two weekends normally ending up at the local.

TVR Chim's speedo works sometimes - but mostly it doesn't - with this intermittent nature I don't think the cable is snapped??. My uneducated thoughts are speedo itself knackered or the cog or whatever at-tother end is. Any ideas where to start looking?

Not sure a TVR Chimera would use a cable driven speedo, more than likely an electronic one, which picks up pulses from a sensor somewhere, so the problem is possibly a poor connection or loose wire, but as I'm not familiar with this car all this might be gonads. Isn't there a TVR page like ours for the 7? Probably get an answer straight off. Regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Thanks Nigel - have since been able to ask on PistonHeads which confirms what you say - it is electronic. Since my neighbour's brake lights also cause his main beam to come on - I think this is the least of his worries!

Edited to add - thanks Fordy - will do.

Edited by - Mr.B on 11 Mar 2005 09:01:12

A clue might also be the fact we found a rats nest in his boot!! This was discovered after taking it our for a spin and nearly ending up in a hedge when a rat ran over my neighbour's feet while entering a particularly tight bend.