Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling alll those Blydenstein members!!

Firemang

Thanks for the suggestion of rejetting.

currently, 32mpg would save me £500 / year!

I must do a test run with my aero mods to see the full effect of just those.

Please let me know if you get mpg results with your rejetted carbs.

Cheers

Simon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naked Engineer, the only way you will get 35mpg out of the 1600 VX is to stick it on a trailor and tow it. The mpg increase out of the Blydenstein conversion I reckon is of the order of maybe 3 to 4 mpg if you take it easy. With the extra power most I suspect will drive faster Chas

Just reading this thread for the 1st time and following up on Gordon's question about who physically does the work...

Does BB just supply a kit you then get someone else to fit, or does he do the whole package? What's the sketch - and where is BB based?

Many thanks,

Howard

BB is based near cambridge.

he just does the head work, valves etc.

you need to send him the head, stripped of all ancillieries. he does the work, and sends it back.

its up to you to take it apart and rebuild it, or find someone who can.

i suppose he could do ALL the work if you took him the car - but I dont think this is his prefered method.

naked engineer. i wont be able to give you any comparison figures, because im not in the habit of actually measuring my mpg.

but I can tell you if it goes further on a tankful...

in the meantime check your jet sizes. jets are £2-5 each, and you have 3 sets of 4.

you can change the 4 idles and 4 pumps for under £30. which is worth a go.

its a 10 min job to swap them.

The Don....

I haven't looked at this any further...I've been buying a classic Alfa as an everyday tintop and thats taken up my time. I have a friend who is more than capable of doing the removal and rebuild work nr Diss..I met him through Nifty of all people. Where abouts in Ipswich are you 🤔...

Up yours 🙆🏻

Howard,

I only introduced Gordon to Jason because I could see that the Brummie likes to give his money away and Jase was a tad short that week *tongue* *tongue* 😬

On a serious note he's more than competent to do this.

If you want to get in touch give me a ring and I'll give you his number.

Nifty

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Hi All,

I have completed the Blydenstein conversion and rejetted the carbs. As far as consumption this has improve dramatically especially on a motorway run as well as in general and seems to be getting better all the time 😬 The engine power and torque is completely different with the conversion. I found on the motorway before the engine would often run out of power before it ran out of revs. Now the opposite is true. After I got the head back on the car it was immediatly obvious that it was running very rich so if you want save the amount you want to on fuel then do the conversion. You will not regret it especially doing some motorway driving.

As far as mpg figures i reckon you can get it to do 30mpg+. I am close to that now with a mixture of blatting and gentle driving. The problem is that with alll that extra torque,power and throaty exaust note you wanna stick your foot down!

I did the conversion with a genuine Vauxhall Head gasket set which contains all the seals/gaskets you need + few nuts and suds i needed. The suitable cam, Bills work and delivery all came to just under £800. I didn't bother with the vernier wheel as on Bills advice i would only gain a little extra bhp if set one way or a little extra torque if set the other side so decided to keep the stock cam pulley and save £80.

There is a list of parts you need if you do a search,even the list of jets post conversion. I would recommend to anyone with a 1600VX to do this conversion. You will get your money back over time with the fuel you will save but more that that it puts the power up to 135-140bhp and more importantly the torque up to a 1.8vvc k series. This all in a Seven that only weighs 520kg!

Now guys, I don't want to be the cause of any trouble here...

Thanks for the lead, Nifty. I'm waiting to see if my contract job becomes permanent then I can hopefully sell the tintop and free up some money to spend on the Caterham. The BB upgrade certainly looks attractive - I swear the car's got slower over the past year. If I do go ahead then I'll give you a shout about Jason's details.

Gordon, I'm nearer Woodbridge than Ipswich. We won't mention Ipswich following yet another play-off disappointment tonight. ☹️

Cheers,

Howard

Cheers Firemang,

+30mpg with mixed driving Thats good news!

I was wondering about the head work, rejetting and aeroscreens to save petrol Monday to Friday.

My comute is a cruise down the motorway so i'd be very interested if you get any results from a motorway run.

I'll save full throttle for the weekends.

Thanks again

Simon.

molegrips?

who mentioned molegrips 🤔

they just screw out, and screw in. delicately 😬

some needlenose pliers can help to lift them out, if you have chewed all your fingernails away.

carb guide on the way. please note that the diagram which identifies the carb parts is UPSIDE DOWN as you view it from the drivers side of the car. so turn the pic around.

DO NOT overtighten the jets as you screw them back in. they are only brass, being screwed into alloy.

*thumbup*

grant

Naked Engineer,

I am sure you can achieve with gentle driving 30mpg especially on the motorway if you keep the speed down.

As far as blatting figures go low twenties if not lower.

Grantuek hope the rejetting went ok. Have you test driven it?

Ian

ian,

have rejetted and retuned. but not perfect yet - the weather has been dull, cold and drizzly, so not been able to do much road testing. its running well though, with nice free revs, and good progression from idles to mains. nice stable idle once warm.

ive only changed the idle jets and pump jets so far. [slightly larger main jets to go in as well]

it definately starts easier, and does not stutter when pulling through 3000rpm, or hesitate when putting the foot down.

it was spitting back a lot initially so I had to richen the mixture a lot. it now revs slightly higher than it did before, before running out of puff - but not sure if this is the consequence of the better jetting, or the aeroscreen i have also fitted this week.

first inspection of the plugs after a high speed run showed they were grey almost white. which makes me think its still a bit lean at the top end. i dont think its pinking though.

with the old 50 size pump jets the plugs were mostly always grey to black. so the 35 pump jet has obviously made a difference to the fuel in that respect.

more info when the weather perks up once ive been able to do some more road testing and fine tuning. i also plan to change to the larger main jets "out on the road" to feel any immediate effects.

what colour are your plugs after a quick run? picture?

For your information (thanks to everybody who has given advise or just listened to me moaning over the past 6 weeks) my VX 1.8 went on the rolling road today and I was very pleased with the results.

The mods are basically the same as BB does, except we cleaned up the inlet manifold too.

140 Bhp @ 5750 Rpm, 141 lb ft of torque @ 4750 Rpm and most amazingly 128 lb ft @ 2250 Rpm !!!

Seems quicker too.

For your information (thanks to everybody who has given advise or just listened to me moaning over the past 6 weeks) my VX 1.8 went on the rolling road today and I was very pleased with the results.

The mods are basically the same as BB does, except we cleaned up the inlet manifold too.

140 Bhp @ 5750 Rpm, 141 lb ft of torque @ 4750 Rpm and most amazingly 128 lb ft @ 2250 Rpm !!!

Seems quicker too.

nice one paul...140 bhp from that engine is got going and doesn't break the bank.

so having the 1800 over the 1600 only equates to 5 bhp in the end.

thats about what we thought would be the result when we talked abouit this last year.

Have fun!

Loud and proud member of the Blydenstein Club!