Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling system K series - Copper Pipes??

PAUL MARRIOTT

Electrochemical compatibility. Copper and aluminium have different electrochemical potentials, which means that if they are in contact, one will corrode at the expense of the other (this is the principle of galvanisation, where zinc is used to protect steel). Although modern antifreeze contains an inhibitor, I wouldn't risk it.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,100 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

There was some worry over using ethylene glycol coolant and copper radiators but if I understood the thread correctly it was the flux in the solder used to join the core to the case that washed away or turned acidic with said coolant and caused leaks. If you're simply planning to use lengths of copper pipe with rubber or silicone hoses at each end (so that you can use shorter lengths of hose) then I can see no reason why not.

I'm scratching about for ways to adopt the cooling system to the Rover PRRT thermostat, and include the Laminova in the byepass cct which all gets either v. tight at the front or long oil lines to the bulkhead.

I can get ally tees made up at not a great expense, and bent pipe but It's going to be difficult to spec. So I w'm planning to make up copper templates and I then thought why not just use the copper anyway hence the request for comment.

It is a guess possible to use the copper but they would have to have soldered joints to offer any real advantage over ally so as I thing Oliver said - why take the risk?

Paul M.

I knew a chap involved in sprinting a Mallock during the seventies/early eighties who used copper pipes to/from the radiator in the rear of the car. He invariably won the best presented car trophy and didn't seem to have any problems. Unfortunately a highly polished copper pipe reminds me of well maintained pub toilets but you rarely see them these days